Maytag electric dryer motor hums

The motor just hums when "start" is pushed. I took off the belt and still just a hum.

I want to try to rotate the shaft, but it's very stiff.

Anyone know how to get at the motor? I have the front cover off, but it looks like I need to tear into the exhaust airflow ducting and drum assembly to get at the motor.

Reply to
kh fami

That sounds right, and when you do you will probably find the sock that is binding the blower wheel on the other end of that motor. Usually that is just a few screws on the plenum.

Reply to
gfretwell

It probably just hums because it doesn't know the words.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Wow -- gfretw... nailed it.

Sock wedged into the blower fan.

Thanks to

for step by step on getting to it.

The telltale sign was that the drum would only turn in one direction and not even budge in the other.

Reply to
kh fami

Nice. Now it makes sense why Mom used to put a few pairs of socks on a safety pin. She never lost one... She put the pin in through the toe ends.

Reply to
Oren