Matching paint

If I buy a gallon of paint, any color, use it and determine that I need more. What is the likelyhood that the next quart, gallon, 5 gallon bucket of the stuff that I buy will match the color of the first gallon? I'm making the assumption that the brand/quality of the paint will matter, but let's say I buy top quality paint in some color (any color)?
Eigenvector wrote:

of the mixer. Custom colors should have the color codes marked on the can..a number and letter for each base color used. Be sure to preserve the markings/label so you can duplicate. The pro advice to diyers is to mix part of the second gal with part of the first...so, if you are down to the last 1/4 or so and it looks like you will need a second gal, get it and mix before you use up all of the first gal.
If it is a factory color, then it is mixed in large batches and more likely to be exactly the same; probably has a batch number on it to make sure they are the same.

Wish I asked this sooner, otherwise mixing the two batches is a really good idea. Oh well looks like the dining room will get another coat.
Acually pro advice would be to always put on two coats, and after the first coat you know exactly what you need for second coat, so get it and box all cans together prior to painting.