Massachusetts Electrical Code

Page 1 of 3
Hoping someone can clear this up.
I have been hearing two conflicting viewpoints on this, regarding residential wiring of receptacles. One person says that it meets code here in Mass. for the homeowner to do wiring of new breakers and receptacles. Another person has told me that any plumbing or electrical work must be done by a licensed electrician to meet code.
Can anyone clarify which answer is correct? Any links to websites?
Thanks,
Scott
Contact your local building department. They should be able to set you straight.

In MA, anyone can do electrical work, but only licensed electricians can charge for it. Anything more than minor repairs (like replacing outlets or light fixtures) probably requires a permit. A homeowner *can* pull his or her own permit - but be prepared for extra hard scrutiny by the town inspector. Note, too, it is illegal for an electrician to connect up work performed by an unlicensed person.
For more info: http://www.state.ma.us/reg/consumer/fspageel.htm
and
MA Electrical Code: http://www.state.ma.us/dfs/osfm/fireprevention/cmr/527012.pdf
Only a licensed plumber can do plumbing legally in MA.
http://www.state.ma.us/reg/consumer/fspagepl.htm
says: "Only a master or journeyman plumber examined and licensed by the Board of State Examiners of Plumbers and Gas Fitters, with the proper permits issued by the local plumbing inspector, can perform plumbing work at your home or business."
MA Plumbing Code: http://www.state.ma.us/reg/boards/pl/cmr.htm
--
HTH,

Seth Goodman

That is obscene. I'm going to install my own soft water system. It doesn't take a supergenious (or a licensed anything) to do this and do it well, meeting all codes. Why on earth does it have to be performed by a licensed plumber? Plus, it's way easier to hurt or kill someone with electricity than it is with plumbing. If anything, it should be the other way around (licensed electrician necessary).
--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Plumbers have a stronger Union.
Bob

It's not a safety thing, it's a trade restriction thing, masquerading as a safety thing.
SNIP...

I agree that it's much easier to hurt someone with electricity than plumbing. However, the person hurt with electricity is usually the person who is working with it. But if you do something stupid with plumbing (such as omitting a required siphon break), you can harm or kill people in other houses. So from the state's point of view, plumbing is a public health issue and your actions can affect more people than just yourself or your family. But, just because I can see a reason for the state's actions, I believe that prohibiting you from doing your own plumbing is excessive.

Plus, the vast majority of people aren't going to do what I do -- they're going to do replacement faucets and the like. That's the most my parents have ever done, for instance. I'm the only one crazy enough to plumb in a soft water system.
--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Seth Goodman wrote:

replying to Seth Goodman, Tom wrote:

As of this date, in accordance with Mass General Law, an inspector MAY NOT issue a permit to do electrical work to any person not licensed in the State of Mass as a Journeyman, Master Electrician, System Technician, or System Contractor. It is also stated in the law that an Electrical Inspector is not required to inspect work not performed under an Application to Perform Electrical Work.
This does not mean a homeowner can not do electrical work in his own home.
Having said that, you also MUST consider your homeowners insurance policy. The insurance companies will cancel you in a second if they can get away with it. ALWAYS read your policy to understand what you are covered for.
Tom
Electrical Inspector, MA
On Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:44:01 PM UTC-5, Tom wrote:

Are you telling us that the same state that has a law that an electrical permit cannot be issued to anyone who is not licensed, doesn't also have a law that says you need a permit to do most electrical work? That it's legal for a homeowner to DIY, no permit required? I find that hard to believe.

replying to snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net , Sully wrote:

The law doesn't say that a homeowner CAN't do his/her own wiring, it only says that any wiring must comply with today's codes. The law about permits is written only for people that charge for the work......
As of today, that is correct. Is that going to change in the future? Who knows?
The problem isn't the law being confusing, it is the home improvement stores selling things that are unsafe and the people in the stores telling homeowners how to install these things unsafely. The last 7 fires I have been called to investigate were caused by improperly installed items bought from a home improvement store..
On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 4:44:06 PM UTC-4, Sully wrote:

If that's true, MA must be a very unique place in the universe. Seven fires in a row caused by improperly installed items from a home improvement store? Are you as good investigating fires as you are in replying to posts that are over a year old? I think you're a guy with his butt crack showing who wants to con homeowners into only paying you to do the work.
I was in a home depot one day, the customer was telling the sales guy he wanted to add a outlet at the end of his 50 foot drivewat but didnt want to do any digging.
the sales guy suggested he run a orange extension cord down the center of his driveway using the relief slot cut when the driveway was installed.
the sales guy and customer were very happy.
i asked do you have any kids, well yeah.
what if the insulation fails anywher along that wire, a cheap orange extension cord.
is this just for a few days? or permanent?
oh its permanent/. the sales guy said then your all set.
after the sales guy left i tried to explain it to a customer. his only concern? there was a swimming pool in the way..
i suggested he call a electrician, he wasonly concerned with costs:(
On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 6:06:51 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

I'd be very concerned if there was a swimming pool in the middle of my driveway too.
On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 6:34:17 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

around pittsburgh those round pools are often set up in driveways, flat solid surface that will not get muddy when water gets splashed. i had a smaller one in my driveway.. when i was a kid. my neighbor had bucks, a 24 foot round one.....
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 15:34:13 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I had that. When my daughter tried to elope, the boy had his lights off so my wife and I woudlnt' see them and he drove right into the pool. Couldnt' get his car started after that.
On 7/25/2015 6:06 PM, bob haller wrote:

Sounds impossible to do safely. Would he like a burger cooked without heat?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I agree about the Home Depot but I m also in a state that does allow owner/builder permits so there is no excuse for it. I was also able to pull permits in Maryland years ago when I lived there. The inspectors were pretty helpful in Maryland.
By the time I was pulling permits here in Florida, I was an inspector so it was really just another set of eyes on my work but mostly just yacking for a few minutes. When I was working for the state, most of the work I inspected was not being done by electricians. We had DOT maintenance man electricians, Park ranger electricians, Volunteer electricians and prisoner electricians. Fortunately I was not under any time restraints so I could give things a good look and help them along when necessary.
Scot, Here's what I found. This seems to be the concensus online for MA. You should check with your city/town building inspector. Some towns allow it but require you to obtain a temp permit for that work. Good luck, Michelle New Bedford, MA
Q: Can I do my own electrical work? The local electrical inspector has the discretion to make that decision. If the property is an owner-occupied, single-family, freestanding dwelling, it is possible to obtain a homeowner's electrical permit.