Masonite siding repair

I have 20 year old masonite siding which is starting to crack. Some of the side edgings are starting to fray. I do not want to replace the entire board...15' lenghts. Any suggestions? Caulk? weatherproof tape? Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve

Masonite is like a sponge when wet. Best long term solution is to rip off and start again but not with masonite.

Short term maybe bondo then paint?

BTW - There was a lawsuit about this. You may have some recourse and a claim depending on when it was installed. See

No

Check out the masonite claims aspect. A strong and definite agreement to that. Beyond that point, the longer you stave off its inevitable complete replacement, the more it will bite your pocket book. So do the paperwork on the other and bit the bullet on getting it done SAP. I've seen and worked with clients individually and commercially who had that problem. They stupidly put off removal for 2 or 3 (one 10) yrs. The outcome was having to strip down to the structurals and replace sone of them. Not doing it can end up yopu wanting to kick yourself in the head amny times over.

Reply to
jjfxcfc

You might want to check the web and see if you are eligible to claim a class action suit. There is a deadline.

I repaired my masonite sidings with 2"X4" treated lumber. Using a table saw I cut a 45 degree across the treated lumber. I also cut all the vertical fairings with a 3-1/2" circular saw so the 2"X4" treated lumber run straight across the rotting lower masonite siding. I caulk the leading edge of the 45 degree treated lumber so water will not rote the siding and lumber again. You may not need to cut the 45 degree treated lumber if you don't have a table saw.

house ll masonide siding>ll ll Outside house ll\\ ll l I have 20 year old masonite siding which is starting to crack. Some of

Reply to
Jim B

Sorry if this is a dupe post, I did not see my reply show up, nor any replies so I am reposting what I tried to post yesterday.....

Masonite is like a sponge when wet. Best long term solution is to rip off and start again but not with masonite.

Short term maybe bondo then paint?

BTW - There was a lawsuit about this. You may have some recourse and a claim depending on when it was installed. See

No

Steve wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Strip it all off and replace. We did this last summer on our detached garage (house has steel already) where the Masonite was starting to fail. It had wicked water behind the siding and destroyed the lower

1/3 of the sheething; we also had to replace some of the sills and most of the door/window casings. Masonite acts like a sponge when it gets wet, wicking the water through the planks. Terrible stuff.

We replaced ours with fiber cement siding which looks a lot better. Cost of materials (we did it ourselves) was comparable to replacing with Masonite or a similar product.

-kiwanda

Reply to
Kiwanda

Rejected due to being a new owner? I don't recall that being part of the process for us. We had bought our house just a few years before also, and got enough from the settlement to pay for an entire new siding job. The thinking is that whoever does the repair, new owner or old, should get the money. Course, if a previous owner took the money and then sold, without repairing, then you are out of luck. Each address gets at most one claim.

-Kevin

Reply to
kevin

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. I purchased the house

4 years ago..The previous owner had freshly painted the siding, which hid the defects. At that time I was more interested in the roof, termite damage and interior problems. I filed a claim against Masonite back in 2004, but was rejected due to being a new owner.Nevetheless I am kicking myself in the rear..repeatedly for not being aware of this type of siding before I bought. Had no clue! Is Hardy board cement siding a suitable replacement? BTW I am In Dallas..
Reply to
Steve