Marvel Lubricating Oil

And let's see.....
You claimed MM oil was like ATF, right?
ATF has a cSt of about 40 (at 40 deg C), which makes it like, what, a 50 wt oil?
Yet you just issued another one of your edicts, that MM oil is a *3 wt oil*.....
Would you like to get your assertions straight?
--
EA

> It is also quite flammable at relatively low temps. Probably not too
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:25:03 -0400, "Existential Angst"

It is not suitable for lubricating the bearings on an electric motor of that size, or that use.
For openers, the flash point is only 128 degrees F.
That's right, dimwit. It's quite FLAMMABLE.

And what part of "mix" didn't you understand?
AND, you are an ignerint liar.
First, flash point has little to do with flammability of the liquid. Look it up. You can have a very low flash point, and a very high ignition temp.
Second, MM oil is BARELY flammable, and won't sustain its own forced combustion -- AT ALL. How do I know? Cuz I just put some in the blue flame of my stove. Hot enough for you?
Third, even if MM oil DID have a meaningful flashpoint, the quantities are so small as to be insignficant, in an electric motor. Fourth, did I mention MIX a little MM oil with other oils? Oh yeah, I did, but you didn't understand that...
Fifth, go get a part-time job, help out yer mom a little.
--
EA

It would proly depend on whether the bearings were bronze sleeve, or ball bearing. My first impulse is that marvel would be a little thick for bronze sleeve, proly OK for ball bearing.
I think Marvel is more of an additive to oils, but not sure. I have a bunch, I'll check the apparent viscosity, etc. The folks on rec.crafts.metalworking would have more info on oils, motors, bearings, etc.
SaltyAss is an idiot, with his one-syllable responses.
--
EA

Ive always used 3 N1 for that application, I am pretty sure its 20W.
JImmie
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:04:57 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE

3 in One does have a version for small motors that is straight 20 weight. Not the same as the "household" 3 in one.
Marvel is basically ATF, and is only suitble for giving Existential Angst an enema. He needs them daily because he is always full of shit.
Notice that his answer is that he really has no idea what Marvel Oil is, but he gives advice anyway.
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 20:44:37 -0400, "Existential Angst"

It was not a guess.
And, boy does that make you mad!
So now you are both mad and stupid.

Actually, no one except research chemists know what ANY oil is, ergo the field day that these companies have in making all their outrageous claims. Ergo the fact that the largely useless WD40 dominates the market, altho their under-handed marketing certainly helps.
There is stupid, and then there is so stupid you don't even know you are stupid. You are the latter.

No? And your claim that MM oil was ATF was, what, based on your own chemical research?

See the above on stupidness
Your mother clearly never slapped you enough.
--
EA

Bad choice. Dries out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
J Burns wrote:

I always use 10-30 in my oil can with a table spoon of STP oil additive. I never heard of a motor dying from detergent oil. Do you want the dirt to stay in your bearings and bushings or dissolve and flow out. That's how I see it.
--
LSMFT

The detergent allows the oil to absorb humidity, which will damage the berrings.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I haven't damaged any in 50 years.
--
LSMFT

On 6/9/2010 2:24 PM, J Burns wrote:

Someone has already mentioned the turbine oil in the plastic bottle with the pull out spout. It can be found at just about any appliance parts store, HVAC, electric motor or industrial supply house. What I've seen comes in SAE-10 and SAE-20 weight. 3-IN-ONE produces a special SAE-20 blend for electric motors larger than 1/4 HP.
http://www.shopwiki.com/Zoom+Spout+Oil
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productDetails.aspx?SKU 705
TDD
A small bottle of non detergent machine oil with a built in spout is easily available at any appliance parts store, similar to : http://www.johnstonesupply.com/corp/tabid/1783/default.aspx?product_group62
--
DanG
J Burns wrote:

No. I'd use either some 3 in 1 brand 20 weight motor oil or some "zoomspout" turbine oil.

I had not read all the replies so my thoughts are what I always use on motors. Turbine Oil. That is what the utility company I worked for used. I leaves NO residue as it is used. WalMart did have in a pull spout container. I also use on shop router bearings. WW