Man electrocuted while "allegedly" stealing wiring (HOUMA, LA)

Page 2 of 2
On 8/7/2011 11:53 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

And aside from any legal action isn't it just common courtesy to use commonly accepted descriptions?
What if we saw the headline " "home guy" is a child molester because he was seen in a car with wet pants and a young child in the vehicle"? Should we just accept that as fact as "home guy" states any conclusion made by a "journalist" should be taken?
Kurt Ullman wrote:

To expand the discussion, what gripes me is the use of the word "suspicion" as in "Joe Blow was arrested on suspicion of burglary and is being held in the county jail."
No one can be arrested for "suspicion" of anything. Being "suspicious" is not a crime. A person can be a "suspect," but it's okay to be "suspicious."
On 8/7/2011 11:26 AM, Home Guy wrote:

In your fantasy world perhaps. Reality is that most "journalists" are moderately skilled folks paid to fill whitespace. They are not credentialed investigators.

I think most reasonable folks would not find a two paragraph newspaper piece sufficient to convict anyone of anything.

And to sum it up to avoid the drama you noted we use the word allegedly to distinguish that it is not an official determination.
Would you want any less for yourself?

What a job! Use "allegedly" and you can write anything, facts be damned. The only thing better is being a weatherman.
"According to predictions, the chance of rain tomorrow is 50%". (Meaning, it's going to rain tomorrow or not.) Either way, you get it right. Put me in front of a blue screen and give me $100k a year and bennies, and just let me have access to the Internet and Google, and I could be a decent weatherman. A $4 Salvation Army suit, a $75 used laptop, and a little George Carlin schtick, I could do it. Where do I apply?
Hey, Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. Al Sleet, your hippy dippy weathermannnnnnnnnnn..........................
Steve
--

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
On 8/4/2011 9:14 AM, Home Guy wrote:

I get sick of that word also.
--
Steve Barker

Allegedly covers all things, like hardly any radiation, or I only put the head in, Judge, I didn't rape her. And nothing was ever proven in a court of law, and no small farm animals were permanently damaged.
Steve

It covers things like not getting the paper or radio station sued. That is pretty much its only function in real life. But it is an important one. (g).
Bill wrote:

No.
The newspaper just prints a retraction the next day.
Freedom of the press. Free speech.
On 8/4/2011 10:14 AM, Home Guy wrote:

I am pretty sure the AP is not part of the judicial system.

Sure would save a lot of time in investigations and crimes if we could just turn to the AP and let them make the final pronouncement.

I don't know? Where you there? Have you reviewed the evidence? Should we always simply go with the trained forensic team from the local newspaper?

http://www.wafb.com/story/15201683/man-electrocuted-while-allegedly-stealing-wiring