Making T&G Hardwood Flooring

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly that if you're serious in doing this you need the equipment or it will never get done and/or will not meet up to tolerances for an easy, neat installation w/o a lot of hand work which again means it will be ages before you get that volume milled...
On top of all else, you have the problem of being several hundred miles away over which you now must travel and enventually transport either the raw or finished material. I'd recommend reconsidering the 5/4 direct-to-joist scheme for one thing simply to reduce the volume. 3/4 will also be easier to lay and a subfloor will help smooth out irregularities in floor joists. Is this conventional or beam or other non-traditional structure?
As a woodworker, I kinda' hate to think of much good oak going into a place where it doesn't have much, if any, real benefit over other more mundane material and one could use all that effort of logging/sawyering/drying/milling almost half of the material for cabinets, furniture, architectural trim, etc., etc., etc., ...imo, fwiw, my $0.02, etc., of course. :)