Making a blizzard survival kit

I have a 2013 Fusion and it does have a spare tire; guess 2014 was a watershed model year. I saw something a while back about non-pneumatic tires for cars, which might be the next new thing.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Agree. My bet is that the fire would burn but the tank would not blow up. Whatever air is in the tank would be fuel rich to the point the vapor would not burn/explode until he tank was ruptured, not just a small puncture.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Hmm, Some candle sticks will be good source of heat inside the car. I have them plus some chocolate and protein bars, emergency blanket, tow rope, chain, small shovel, always carried as a emergency kit in winter time. Also I always fill gas when tank is half full just to be sure. If you got stranded stay put, never wander off. Also I have DC charger for cell phone and my ham radio handi talkie.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Knowing the LHOP series, the girls were pleased that Pa was safe, and all was forgiven.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In the car you are dry and out of the wind, and you won't be wandering lost in the blizzard. With a good warm blanket and a few candles you can avoid freezing to death if you stay dry.

I've been in blizards where you couldn't see more than a car length when you were in the car - the snow going sideways at 40MPH and more meant you couldn't see 3 feet when you were out in the wind.

Stupid to be caught out in that weather - and DEADLY stupid to be walking around in it.

That's OK if you don't have 3-4 foot drifts to plough through, and if you can see the barn

Reply to
clare

CY: Much warmer. Yes, I do have a couple candles in the back seat, and a lighter and matches. And some stiff wire, so I can hang a candle from miror or visor.

CY: We learned,in government schools to pull over and put on the fourway flashers. Less likely for someone to think you are in a lane and moving, and tailend collide with you.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We get our share of snow here in CT,but usually not that bad. I've driven in plenty of snow, but if predicted to be that bad, I stay home. Weather reports today are fairly accurate so few people have reason to take the risk..

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On the alt.survival list, the question was posed by a fellow in Colorado who was going to Arizona. He asked me what were some good things to have in the vehicle. One of the items later came to mind was NOAA radio. I've been out of town and looked at the weather channel in the motel room, that's been a big help. Took a different route, avoided the snow area. But, yes, weather reports (radio, TV, computer web page) are a big help, easier to stay out of trouble than go through trouble.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not a question of if that will happen, but WHEN. Mother Earth is waking up.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I gotta save that one!

Reply to
bob_villa

You know, I think there is truth in that. The weather is a bit different than when I was a kid.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ever since that moon landing. Congress controls the weather now.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This past winter has been a bit closer to what I gr than the last 20 have been (last winter excepted)

Reply to
clare

I had two advantages.

  1. I was close to home and know the area real well.
  2. Although the snow was blowing real hard, it was not real deep, and because the road is elevated th snow was blowing into the fields and not staying on the road.

Another time, I actually got stuck in my own driveway, walking! There was a drift at least 7 feeet tall, and my legs just sunk in, and snow packed between my legs. I was only 200 feet from my house, but I barely made it back to the house. I had to just roll backward to get out of that drift, and that just made me colder as the snow packed inside my clothing.

But I saw one worse. A neighbor boy, who was about 12 years old, went out in a blizzard, hooked up a homemade sled to his small pony, and found himself lost in the extreme blowing and deep snow. The pony got stuck. The snow was packed under it's belly and it kept falling over and thrashing around, and the sled made it worse. Luckily he had gone off the road and was in a field right along my driveway, and managed to get to my door. I was shocked to hear a knock on the door in that blizzard. He was so cold he could hardly talk, but he started crying about his pony.

The last thing I wanted to do was go out in that storm, but I was not going to let that pony freeze, so as soon as the boy warmed up, I gave him some dry clothing, which was too big for him, but dry. I dressed myself real warm, got on my tractor and started to push snow. We finally got to the pony who was ready to give up from exhaustion. The sled was all busted up, so I just cut the ropes and tossed it aside. Then I carefully plowed right along the side of the pony, and we hooked a rope to him, and real easily pulled him out of the deep snow. Once he was out of the drift, he got up, but was very stiff. By that time, I was barely able to drive the tractor, the boy was no better, and the pony was barely able to walk. I told the boy to stand on the tractor drawbar, and hold that pony's rope real tight, so he walks along behind. As soon as we got to my house, not only did myself and the boy come inside, but so did the pony.

I called the boys parents and told them he was ok, but he was staying at my house till the storm is over.

That could have been a disaster. But the boy and the pony were ok. The sled ended up becoming firewood though. I think storms like this are worse in the country, because there are fewer places to go for help and less buildings to use as marker points. It's just one huge sheet of snow that goes on for acres, and sometimes miles...... After many years of living in the country, I think I know what to do, but there is always some new problem that occurs. But I have learned over the years to just stay in the house when a storm is coming, and stay there till it's over. I know that boy learned a hard lesson that day too. Then again, I never heard of a pony getting stuck in the snow either....

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

I read that was the case till about 2009, when Obama started to control the weather with executive orders. Of course, can't believe everything. Some say the global New World Order is controlling the weather.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

First, thank you for your kindness. Good of you to warm up the boy, loan him clothes, etc. Wish more adults were as caring. And you phoned his parents, I'd dare to guess they were concerned.

As to the pony, there was writing in the Little House on the Prarie books, the year of the big winter. Pa had two horses, using them to go out to bring in prarie grass to burn. One would go insane when he punched through the snow, other horse would calmly stand.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Per snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com:

Where do you live?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I've heard of Clydesdales getting stuck in snow - forget about ponies!!!

Reply to
clare

Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

I live in SouthEastern Penna - not exactly the now belt.

One winter I was driving up to the Poconos intent on doing some cross-country skiing.... Well, no snow there either... so I figured "Just keep driving North until I see snow".

Wound up in Watertown N.Y. - which, I found out later, is subject to "lake effect snow"....i.e. they get 5-7 inches of snow every night.

To make a long story short, I was skiing through this little forest of evergreens - grown, I figured, for the Christmas tree trade because they were all 5-6' high.

One of my ski bindings was getting clogged with snow/ice, so I stopped and stood on one leg while I cleared the binding.

Then I thought, "Let's take the other ski off just to make sure that one isn't on the way to getting clogged".

"Ploomph!".... Turns out those trees were more like 8-12 feet high....

I wound up nose-deep in snow (I'm 6'5" tall) and really, *really*, REALLY scared... figured that was the end.

Can't recall how I did it, but finally wound up back on the surface and on my skis.... But I think it could have gone either way.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Oren:

One thing I noticed: they did not plow the roads. Instead, they ran grading machines to smooth out the snow. Only place I saw blacktop was an area about 50' across where the two main streets in town crossed.

Never saw anybody stuck, never saw anybody skidding or having other problems with traction.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)