Making a blizzard survival kit

Page 2 of 3
On 3/6/2015 6:05 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

First, thank you for your kindness. Good of you to warm up the boy, loan him clothes, etc. Wish more adults were as caring. And you phoned his parents, I'd dare to guess they were concerned.
As to the pony, there was writing in the Little House on the Prarie books, the year of the big winter. Pa had two horses, using them to go out to bring in prarie grass to burn. One would go insane when he punched through the snow, other horse would calmly stand.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Where do you live?
--
Pete Cresswell

I've heard of Clydesdales getting stuck in snow - forget about ponies!!!
Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

I live in SouthEastern Penna - not exactly the now belt.
One winter I was driving up to the Poconos intent on doing some cross-country skiing.... Well, no snow there either... so I figured "Just keep driving North until I see snow".
Wound up in Watertown N.Y. - which, I found out later, is subject to "lake effect snow"....i.e. they get 5-7 inches of snow every night.
To make a long story short, I was skiing through this little forest of evergreens - grown, I figured, for the Christmas tree trade because they were all 5-6' high.
One of my ski bindings was getting clogged with snow/ice, so I stopped and stood on one leg while I cleared the binding.
Then I thought, "Let's take the other ski off just to make sure that one isn't on the way to getting clogged".
"Ploomph!".... Turns out those trees were more like 8-12 feet high....
I wound up nose-deep in snow (I'm 6'5" tall) and really, *really*, REALLY scared... figured that was the end.
Can't recall how I did it, but finally wound up back on the surface and on my skis.... But I think it could have gone either way.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per Oren:

One thing I noticed: they did not plow the roads. Instead, they ran grading machines to smooth out the snow. Only place I saw blacktop was an area about 50' across where the two main streets in town crossed.
Never saw anybody stuck, never saw anybody skidding or having other problems with traction.
--
Pete Cresswell

North central USA.
Per snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com:

Guess I'll cancel our North Dakota winter vacation plans then.... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

On 3/3/2015 3:54 PM, philo wrote:

Yes, this is totally possible. What an ending.
On 3/3/2015 2:54 PM, philo wrote:

Sounds like an updated version of Pa being trapped in a snowbank in one of the Little House books. He'd walked back from town with candy for Laura and Mary in his pocket, and he got so hungry, he ended up eating it. When the storm died down and he dug himself out, he found he was just a short distance from their shanty.
On 3/4/2015 9:01 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Knowing the LHOP series, the girls were pleased that Pa was safe, and all was forgiven.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 3/3/2015 10:23 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

Makes more sense than most of what's on this list. Thank you.

That whole story was about the stupidest thing I ever read..... THe spare tire makes more sense, but why not just carry some flares.
Much cheaper, much safer, adn better for the environment too!
On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 2:06:47 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Agree. My bet is that the fire would burn but the tank would not blow up. Whatever air is in the tank would be fuel rich to the point the vapor would not burn/explode until he tank was ruptured, not just a small puncture.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Hmm, Some candle sticks will be good source of heat inside the car. I have them plus some chocolate and protein bars, emergency blanket, tow rope, chain, small shovel, always carried as a emergency kit in winter time. Also I always fill gas when tank is half full just to be sure. If you got stranded stay put, never wander off. Also I have DC charger for cell phone and my ham radio handi talkie.

next time there is a blizzard in Sarasota Florida, we will all be prepared.
Mar 3Reggie wrote:
Not a question of if that will happen, but WHEN. Mother Earth is waking up.

>> Florida, we will all be prepared. "

> WHEN. Mother Earth is waking

You know, I think there is truth in that. The weather is a bit different than when I was a kid.
On 3/5/2015 10:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ever since that moon landing. Congress controls the weather now.
On 3/5/2015 3:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I read that was the case till about 2009, when Obama started to control the weather with executive orders. Of course, can't believe everything. Some say the global New World Order is controlling the weather.
On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 10:07:10 -0500, Stormin Mormon

This past winter has been a bit closer to what I gr than the last 20 have been (last winter excepted)