Main Water Supply Line freeze protection

Page 2 of 2
sounds like you will have no need for water over the winter.
if thats the case shut off water at curb, remove the valve and fittings from the incoming water line indoors......
then siphon the remaining above floor water stuck in the line with aquarium tubing....... suck on it if needed...
leave the meter and everything off till spring.
this way you have no need to heat the line or worry about a possible freeze up, since there will be no water to freeze.....
If the water's shut off at the street, and the valve is not dribbling. You might be able to boil the water out of the copper, with a torch. I saw an old plumber dry a copper pipe that way, once.
sounds like you will have no need for water over the winter.
if thats the case shut off water at curb, remove the valve and fittings from the incoming water line indoors......
then siphon the remaining above floor water stuck in the line with aquarium tubing....... suck on it if needed...
leave the meter and everything off till spring.
this way you have no need to heat the line or worry about a possible freeze up, since there will be no water to freeze.....
Stormin Mormon wrote:

If it's copper, especially as it looks like soft/annealed copper given the bendiness in the picture, I don't think there's any need to go to town drying out the pipe. Just leave the inside end open.
I've never had copper pipe split under such conditions. Lead's a bugger for splitting with ice and copper can be damaged if the pipe is full and shut off both ends - though it's more likely to try to push fittings apart if it can.
Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim /

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
bob haller wrote:

I like the idea about the tubing to take the remaining water out of the line near the basement.
I do want to put in the new shutoff ball valve with a drain port so I'll already have a way to turn off the water from the inside if needed. I'll be leaving the new valve open and drain port on the valve open. I assume that the shutoff valve at the street works okay, but just in case it has a slow leak or develops any problem, I want to have an inside shutoff valve as a backup.

If I understand the issue, you have capped off the main line from the street and removed the water meter. I would put a temporary connector on the pipe coming from the house (where it would attach to the meter) and hook up an air compressor. Then blow any water out of the system. This is similar to winterizing a lawn sprinkler system. I'm not sure it it would work in your situation, but it's an idea to think about.
Robin