Main Water Supply Line freeze protection

That looks like a gate valve on that line.

If it were me, I would use a wet/dry vaccuum cleaner and a length of vinyl tubing to suck the water out of that line to the depth of the frost line. If you don't have electricity in that house, you can always just use lung power and spit the water out into a bucket.

Then pour in some plumbing antifreeze to prevent any remaining water in the pipe from freezing.

As long as you remove the water above the frost line, you should be good. the water in any piping below the frost line won't freeze anyhow.

Reply to
nestork

As a follow up to my comment about using RV Anti freeze. My house is vacant for the month of Feb each year as I head for sunny Florida. I shut the ball valve at the water entry point, open lower level faucets and drain as much water as I can. Also flush all toilets. At this point I put about a quart of RV anti freeze in all the drains/traps--sinks, toilet tank and bowl, bath tub, shower, dish washer, washing machine etc. Maybe this is over kill but some of the lines are buried either within the walls or under a cement floor and it isn't worth taking any chances. Payoff is that I've never has a problem. MLD

Reply to
MLD

My friend Ed, his adult son was out of town, and the power co turned off the electric. Deep freeze weather, no less. Burners on the stove barely took the chill off. We did the drain, pink stuff, etc, routine. Close the water main coming in, open all the faucets including the cellar laundry sink. The only pipe damaged, was the water lead to the toilet. He'd closed the shut off valve, and some water remained in the vertical line.

The neighbors would not let him run a cord for the furnace. I suggested a generator, but he thought that was too much work.

.

As a follow up to my comment about using RV Anti freeze. My house is vacant for the month of Feb each year as I head for sunny Florida. I shut the ball valve at the water entry point, open lower level faucets and drain as much water as I can. Also flush all toilets.

At this point I put about a quart of RV anti freeze in all the drains/traps--sinks, toilet tank and bowl, bath tub, shower, dish washer, washing machine etc. Maybe this is over kill but some of the lines are buried either within the walls or under a cement floor and it isn't worth taking any chances. Payoff is that I've never has a problem. MLD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What a bunch of tightarses...

Reply to