Magnets & Wrist Watches -- Are They Compatible?

I have no idea where to ask this question, so I'm asking it here.
Are battery operated digital wrist watches affected by strong magnets?
I have a strong rare earth magnet. It's to go in a location where my wrist watch will rest against it several times a day. Will this harm the watch?
jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ. http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair
jim evans wrote:

Hi, As far as I know I never had trouble. I used to work around all kinds of electronics equipment as an engineer. Digital Quarz watch has nothing to do with magnetic field. Not like mechanical watch. Tony
Who knows?
But if your watch fails a week after you expose it, will you blame the magnet?
Would it have failed anyway? Was it coincidence?
If the watch has value to you - monetarily, sentimental or otherwise - take it off when you do things that you aren't sure of the damage that might be done to it.
I mean, you wouldn't wear it when swimming, right?
Now, on the other hand, if you just want to know - lay the bastard on the magnet for a week and see if it still works.
I can't answer with certainty but I think any moving part (not made of stainless or brass or otherwise un-magnetizable) is likely to be adversely effected. If it's an LCD watch, I think you are safe.
jim evans wrote:

jim evans wrote:

Interesting question...Try asking it at:
alt.horology
the guys there are antipodal to those on alt.hvac; they seem more than happy to answer questions from those not "in the guild".
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I would say no problem, I often glue a strong rare earth magnet to the back of a cheap (water resistant) watch to stick it to my tractor (etc) and they seem to work for a year or more outdoors.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Why not just glue a watch to the tractor?

Not quite as portable if it's glued.....

I have more than one tractor (plus ATV, PU truck) ;)
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
I have a story that might help.
I worked in a Sheet metal shop for 6.5 years. I constantly operated a Spot welding machine with my hands ( one with watch around wrist) near the welding tips. this is the second highest area of magnetic field. The strongest is in the coils. I wore a very old (even then) TI digital LED watch. It kept great time for probably half of my employment there. I broke it while Kicking a Hacky Sack around one day. When I bought a replacement I gave it no consideration , as the watch was not even available new any longer. I went down and bought a cheap TIMEX analog..........the analog watch kept making me work overtime , and all kinds of odd things like missing break times by over an hour, and neat stuff like that. I pretty much quit wearing a watch after that............Moral: Digital OK around very strong magnets. Analog TIMEX.........Not so good.
( the spot welder would pick up a 12 inch pair of Channel Lock pliers and hold it suspended for the duration it was set to weld)
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
Thanks to everyone [except Matt] for the replies.
jim
Just in case you are interested:
Here's Seiko's take on it http://www.seikowatches.com/support/faq/care.asp#3
I took a Dollar store LCD digital watch and laid it overnight on top of a quite strong rare earth magnet. It was running the next morning and is still running 2 days later. I didn't check to see if it gained or lost time.
jim