Luan Door and Stain Matching

Hi,

I live in a house with prehung doors that were stained brown, prolly around 25 years old. The grains are black. These existing doors are luan, according to the manufacturer's (Cal-Wood) stamp on the perimeter. I bought a new luan door, and a piece of scrap luan to experiment with matching the stain on the existing doors.

A 50/50 mix of MinWax Special and Dark Walnut looks good on the scrap piece (I went for a reasonable base wood color match), but has a reddish tint on the new door. Is it possible a dye stain was used on the old doors? I know stain matching is very hard to do, and maybe the brand/type of stain I'm using is wrong for this job.

Any advice on how to proceed is much appreciated, outside of painting all the doors and trim. That isn't an option at this time.

TIA, James

Reply to
James Harvey