Lowes vs. HD....

Page 3 of 5
snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote:

I prefer to pull my own lumber, rather than let them load up a lot of rejects.

The biggest jerks that I ever ran into were at a HVAC wholesaler. They refused to sell me some duct board about 25 years ago. I asked the manager his full name so he could be mentioned on the air at the TV station, and told him that I didn't want to blame the wrong guy for refusing to sell to a Christian TV station. His eyes went wide, and he yelled at one of his workers to pull what I wanted, then gave me 'D' column pricing. They even loaded it into my truck without being asked. :)
We weren't doing any HVAC work, we needed to block the sides of the water chillers on the transmitter to bring the coolant to normal operating temperature, before we flushed the transmitter and refilled it with distilled water & antifreeze.
On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 14:03:52 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Agreed. I don't even let the "help" at the Borg help me. I'll take my time, and yes, the pile will be as neat when I leave as when I got there, if picked over. ;-)

That makes three. ;-)

;-)

My experience is that HD is crap. Lowe's only slightly better. Went to get two 12' 2 x 12's, and the WHOLE PALLET had a split in the same place on the end of evey board running 18". Went to HD, and found two out of about 100 that were decent, but would not have bought them if I wasn't in a time crunch.
If you want GOOD lumber, you will go to a lumber yard, as they carry sizes and grades you can't find at the Borgs. Kinda depends on the project, and, as stated, if they give you a break for having an account, etc. But I think any lumber yard has better lumber on average than either Lowe's or HD.
Steve

True, but unfortunately in rural areas HD and Lowes drive the independents out of business within two or three years. Then they are the only game in town unless you want to do a LOT of driving.

HD and Lowes never put anyone out of business. The lumberyards would thrive if they had customers. Now, why do customers go elsewhere? Sadly, many go elsewhere because they think they are getting a bargain at the big stores and have lots of selection.
There are some small store still doing a good business. They offer good service, sensible prices, knowledgeable staff, and quality products.
Many of the places that are gone liked the contractors but got snotty when the DIY crowd needed a little hand holding. Same goes for plumbing and electrical supply houses. The don't want the locals, only the pro. That leaves a big market that wants to spend money.

I lived near a triangle of stores. Hechinger, builders square, and local busy beaver. I remember about the same time the home depot opened, lost both builders square and hechinger. The remaining busy beaver us still in operation and it's dozen or so other locations. The three stores before the home depot were within walking distance of each other. The screw/nail section in the home depot is a complete mess. I often go to busy beaver to easily find something, even if it costs a little extra.
Greg

Independents drive themselves out of business.
As I recall the wood at HD comes from Chile and is cut metric size.
e.g. getting 1/2" ply isn't 1/2". Buy a metric/imperial datao set.
Martin
On 12/8/2012 10:33 AM, Steve B wrote:

On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 22:14:20 -0600, Martin Eastburn
If it comes from ANYWHERE other than the USA it is metric size -

china, usually.
On 12/8/2012 11:14 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 22:14:20 -0600, Martin Eastburn

It's not that simple. 12mm ply isn't 12mm, either. Sheet goods thicknesses vary all over the place. Adjust the design to the particular sheet.

My experience is that the quality in both is quite variable and also quite dependant on location. Some are very good, some aren't worth trying.

It's nice to have options. Many don't.

HD contractor's desk sells the wrong sized doors just like any other outfit. Just more often.
Steve
On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 23:31:06 -0600, Martin Eastburn wrote:

I know I've posted this before, but Lowes bought the Eagle Hardware stores here. Lowes now stands for "Less Of What Eagle Stocked" :-).
That said, I can still find more of what I need there than at Home Depot.
carrying a cross.
14:03:52 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Gee, suddenly the don't want free publicity! Now that _is_ a miracle. </snark>
--
pyotr
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Same deal I offered ATT Longlines when five of our ten our WATS lines died just befoe a telethon. :)
01:43:34 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    The old saying was "Never Argue with a man who buys his ink by the barrel"
    Now it is "Do not pick a fight with a man who buys pixels by the terabyte."
--
pyotr
On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 23:01:17 -0800, pyotr filipivich

"When at the carnival, don't insult the guy with the microphone".

Proof: You're an idiot.

IKWYABWAI is about your speed.

Who cares where you live, or are you suggesting that everywhere on the planet has as many lumber yards as your hell hole? You prove you're an idiot with every post. Amazing.

You really are an idiot.