Lowes vs. HD....

I've found that the quality of HDs varies quite significantly from one area to another. Within an area they seem to be similar. I've also found that Lowes are much more consistent and better. There are fewer of them, though, so usually further. They also tend to be very close to HDs.
Per snipped-for-privacy@at.biz:

That seems to resolve the contrast between other poster's low opinion of HD and my own experience here in Southeastern Pennsylvania.
Maybe it's a district manager/personality thing.
In the two I shop at, their return policy is as accommodating as I could hope for. Seem like they'll take almost anything any time with no receipt required.
--
Pete Cresswell

they did that here in western PA. it resulted in a group picking up high value items thru the store and taking them to the return desk getting gift cards they sold on craiglist. since they never paid for the merchandise to begin with it was all pure profit:(
Funny home depot incident...
My water heater was dripping I stopped at the ross park mall store north of pittsburgh..
They had almost no gas water heaters in stock so I took the supplied list of heaters to the service desk and asked how much is this one and how soon can you get it in?
the very nice service desk gal said oh thats home depot home services I cant help you mark is on vacation for a week please come back then.... even with the SKU number she refused to give me a price:(
I had the home depot customer support number in my phone they said no problem allison park store 15 minutes away has it in stock they have 3.... do you want to put one on hold?
I picked it up a hour later........
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 14:29:45 -0800, bob haller wrote:

My old gas powervent water heater was leaking so I called the local plumbing company. I gave them the diameter and height measurements over the phone. An hour later, they show up with a new Lochinvar heater. Another 90 minutes after that and the new one is installed and heating.

I found the ones in the NE to be quite good and the staff more than helpful. In NE Ohio they were disgusting places. Fortunately there were five Lowes within driving range. The ones around here are OK but the (one) Lowes is better. I like the brands Lowes carries better, too.

That's sorta what I figured but can't prove it.

Yes, this is one of the major advantages of the big box stores. Their return policies are quite customer friendly. Of course they push the cost off to their supplier. My heart bleeds for them.

the reason the prices are low. WRT Lowe's, the stores in the NY Metro area are much newer than HD, but more oriented toward women. They are seriously deficient in hardcore plumbing fittings, for example.
On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 20:26:37 -0500, "ATP"

That is my impression too. If you are building, go to HD, if you are decorating go to Lowes. HD has the best selection of plumbing and electrical parts The problem is nobody in HD (or Lowes) knows what they are for or where they are at. At HD the people in the electrical department will send customers to me with technical questions if they see me. One day I was sitting on the floor digging through boxes trying to find 6 particular EMT fittings and the HD guy who I have know for years said "that is why we call this a do it yourself store, if you want to find something, do it yourself" Neither are like going to a real lumber yard or supply house but those guys are not interested in selling a hand full of anything.

If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....
If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....
If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...
Anyone see a pattern here ?
Per PrecisionmachinisT:

This is probably totally moot to anybody's point but...
A long time ago, I was refitting the bathrooms in our house with new faucets.
I bought cartridge-operated ones from Kmart.
The same day, I went to a plumbing-supply store to buy a Delta brand lever-operated faucet for the kitchen sink.
Out of curiosity, I put one of the KMart faucets on the counter and asked "What's the difference between this and Delta?".
The guy behind the counter got red in the face and almost shouted "*This* is quality and *that* is SHIT!"
It's been 30+ years since that day and I've never had a problem with any of the bathroom faucets. Then I noticed that the local gym where I went for 10+ years used the same faucets.
OTOH, I've had to rebuild the Delta faucet in the kitchen at least five times..... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

I like Price Pfister - have had very good results with their products over the years. The old Waltec stuff was good too.
wrote in

rock bottom and have no other choice.
On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 21:08:17 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"

If I just need a single something plumbin-wize I'll go to HD, Canadian Tire, or Home Hardware. If I need anything specialized or any amount, it's over to Marks Supply.
Electrical? Little stuff, the above. Anything specialized or any amout - over to Guilevans orWesco or whatever.
Hardware? depends - usually Home Hardware or Canadian Tire - HD if I'm headed that direction -
On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 21:08:17 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"

Many don't sell to the general public.

I haven't seen one of those in a decade.

They're as rare as hens' teeth, too.

On 6 Dec 2012 03:00:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote:

Pretty much depends on where you life. Lots of lumberyards, hardware stores and plumbing supply houses.
They wont sell to the public? Bring in a business card. Even from someone you know and tell em thats you and open a cash account.
They really dont give a shit beyond following corporate rules. Sales are sales, expessially when its in cold hard green money.
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
Gunner wrote:

There were lumberyards around here that required a copy of your business license, and tax certificate before you could set up an account. One now has very few customers, and a lot of 'OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!!!' But after 25+ years of telling people to go away, they are in no hurry to deal with them.

    And you can get business cards printed all sorts of places. Or at home, even.
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr

Pretty much.

I haven't even seen a real lumber yard or what I'd call a real hardware store in years. I never frequented plumbing supply houses - they didn't like walk-in business so I always avoided them.

I don't know any plumbers. Sorry. Not going to happen. If they don't want my business I'm not going to force them to do business.

Actually, many do. Some would rather not piss off their customers than make what few bucks I'd bring them. I found plumbing houses especially didn't want my business (electrical were much more willing to take my dead presidents).
On 6 Dec 2012 17:56:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote:

The counter shops that are most selective around here seem to be HVAC suppliers and aluminum wholesalers. They only want to talk to their trades. The other side of this is the "list price" thing. If the counter guy charges cash customers list, you will find it a lot cheaper to go to Home Depot. They make that price artificially high to give their customers (the trades) an ability to mark up materials costs. Your actual price will depend on which column in the price book the counter guy applies to your order. Regular customers with a good volume of sales usually pay 40% of list or less if there os a promotion.
One thing that tends to make you move down that price list is being ready when you get to the counter. Know what you want and order it like you know what you are doing. If you are not a pretty girl, these guys usually will not want to answer dumb questions, particularly if they are busy.
On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 13:40:16 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I can believe that. Just a short wander over though the HVAC NG would have anyone believe that.

Sure. HD is just easer than putting up with the grief. I used to buy from an electrical house, for a while, but it really was more bother than it was worth. That was before HD, and such.

Sure. Human nature.