Low water flow, low pressure

Every faucet in my house performs poorly. The first thing in the morning, they flow pretty well for a few seconds, then slow WAY down. Some days it's the bathroom sink other days it's the tub; every day it's the kitchen sink.

Reply to
Steve

According to Steve :

Debris or crud buildup (eg: rust).

[Assuming you don't have a regulator. It could be jammed or defective if you have one.]

Contact the water company again and ask them if they'll do a flush.

Water companies have rigs that will pulse pressurize the line, and blow out any crud.

My father water supply was suffering similar problems, but not quite as bad. After calls to the municipal water office, he learned that this was endemic to his area (development only about 35 years old). But because of the number of houses, they weren't simply going out and doing it, they were waiting for people to complain.

They came out, zapped the line, and it worked much better from then on.

Generally speaking, if you have a constriction problem, the static pressure (water pressure whenn you're drawing no water) will be the same as the water mains. It's when you start drawing water that the pressure drops drastically.

If you have a leak, that could explain it. So could a regulator.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Do you have a whole house filter and/or a water softener. Restrictions in one of those could cause your problem. By the way, if I was your neighbor, I would be installing a pressure regulator on my water system. Household appliances are designed to safely work with 60 pounds pressure. Any more than that and he's risking a failure that could result in serious water damage to the house. And of this I speak with experience. 90 pounds pressure caused me $3000 water damage twice before I got smart and installed a regulator dropping the pressure to 50.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom

Focus on searching for a Pressure Reducing Valve. Might look like this:

There is no reason that your pressure gauge should read 40psi while street pressure is 100psi unless you have a PRV.

There could be other reasons for the reduced flow, such as restrictions mentioned, but start with the PRV.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim