Low Mileage Van

My land tank is a 87 Dodge, with the 8 engine, and has about 150K miles.
Running about 8 or 9 MPG.
Recently had the tune up parts. Cap, rotor, sparks, air filter, fuel filter.
What else might help improve mileage?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Tire pressure can make a big difference. Also don't drive around with a lot of extra weight - clean out all the stuff that has accumulated that really doesn't need to be there. Drive as though there was a raw egg between your foot and the pedals. That means accelerate and decelerate gradually. Coast to a stop rather than waiting to the last minute and slamming on the brakes. Any time you use the brakes, you are wasting fuel.
BB
Hi, You mean V8? Advancing timing as much as you can will help. Changing advance curve by trying different springs in the distributor can help. Changing the thermostat with hotter one(if that old engine can take it without leaking coolant) can help Trying to get lower idle RPM can help. Tranny shift kit may help. Changing the jet in the carb, etc., etc. No new ignition wires? Tony
BinaryBillThesailor@Sea++.com wrote:

Jack it up and put a GMC under it!
Don't think putting a GMC under it would help get better mileage. I have an older GMC 'Gaucho' van with a 350. What a pig on gas! Don't know which Chrysler V8 the Stormin Mormon has in his Dodge van, but if it is the 318, the gas mileage should be better than he is getting. Had a few big old Chrysler cars with the 318 engine and got pretty good mileage out of them. Seldom, if ever had any engine problems either.
My new GMC with 5.3 V8 averages 20 mpg got up to 23 on highway with automatic overdrive tranny. Way better then my 1995 GMC with 350 got.

get a few of your wives to push it

Oddly enough, I'm a bachelor. But thanks for the idea.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

dodge Ram it up your ass and walk.
Make sure the vacuum hose is without leaks.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

filter.
Hate to say this, but buy a new van! I recently dumped my 87 money pit for a 97 in perfect shape for $1,050.
Much less than the tranny I needed would have cost.
At a certain point, old vehicles are a false economy. But you need to shop very,very carefully to get out of the trap. I worked in the auto game, and I can assure you a dealer will never be the way out. The deals are out there if you look hard.
Had tune up parts, but did you check the timing?
--

"Stormin Mormon" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@enews4.newsguy.com...

A V-6
Alot of things , low compression, bad cam, timing retarded, rich fuel mixture, vac leak, sticking brakes , advance not operating. You name it. put it on a scope to weed it out. I find not braking gets me more mpg.