Lost Electricity

Page 4 of 4
Neon John wrote:

Don't know about "few", maybe still "some". Out here it is manually read by a paid part-time person (virtually always a member "moonlighting"). We had to ditch the mail-in cards when the numbers of installed meters at locations where there was no sentient discernible sentient lifeform that could actually perform the task became too great... :(
Eventually will probably go to the self-reading, but that's still in the future...

After looking at this thread and then re-reading your initial post, this caught my eye. Presumably your dirty clothes backed up during the outage. How many loads of wash did you do when the power was restored?
If your dryer is typical it draws about 7kW. That means that it would use 7kWh for every hour of operation. Assume a load takes an hour. Mine does.
You had power for (31-6.5) = 24.5 days. If your usage was average then you used 653/31 = 21.06kWh/day. For the month that would be 24.5*21.06 = 516kWh. The difference from your average would be 653-516 = 136.9kWh.
136.9/7kWh per load ~= 20. So if you did 20 extra loads of clothes after the power came back on, just the dryer usage (ignoring all other additional loads such as whatever the washing machine and well pump used to support the extra clothes washing) would account for the difference.
Since you and your neighbors were in similar situations, it wouldn't be unusual for them to have done extra laundry too.
You probably also had dirty dishes piling up (additional well pump and maybe electric dishwasher usage) and probably didn't vacuum during the outage. I bet that if you sit down and carefully recount your activities after the power came on, you could account for most, if not all the apparent discrepancy.
I'm still betting on an estimation catch-up reading but even if they really don't estimate, it's not very hard to account for the difference with just a few lifestyle assumptions and undoubtedly the extra degree-days involved. After all, you DID have s storm severe enough to cause an extended power outage.
John -- John De Armond See my website for my current email address http://www.neon-john.com http://www.johndearmond.com <-- best little blog on the net! Tellico Plains, Occupied TN Why the US is losing its competitivve edge:"It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged boys could lose a finger or two playing with."-James Niccol

That shouldn't change the amount of total clothes washed in December. Clothes pilling up at my house would actually make the electric bill less. That shirt wasn't as dirty as I thought it was. :)
Terry wrote:

But if you were calculating your average daily use based on only those days with power, it could skew that figure.

Check that dryer to be sure the vent is not clogging and clothes are taking longer to dry.
Terry wrote:

Pretty much how it works.
Steve

Yes, you're right it's the same total number of loads of laundry. But, it's those same total number of loads spread out over just 25 days, not 31 days. So the number per day is a bit higher and the electric usage per day is a bit higher. And the total electric for the month is about the same even though the power was off for 5 days.
Bottom line is, even with the electric out for 5 days, a month's worth of laundry was still done.
Of course if their clothes dryer is NG or propane......
daestrom
Steve IA said (on or about) 01/19/2008 10:40:

I recall a Firesign Theatre album (I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus) which mentioned a government agency -- The Lost Electricity Reclamation Bureau (a division of the Department of Redundancy Department). You should file a claim with them.
Elmo wrote:

I get strange looks when I say "We're all Bozos on this bus". Glad to see I'm not alone.
Steve
--
"But every time I read the papers
That old feeling comes on.

<snip>
If it's not a bad meter reading then that is the prime culprit, the thermostat is stuck 'on'