Living With Laminate Floors?

Page 2 of 2
I should note that the drop was from 8 feet and hit on an edge of the globe. Probably equivalent of dropping a knife and the blade hitting the laminate.

ruined.
slab
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

You need a moisture barrier/sound proof underlayment they sell along with the laminate flooring. It gets held down by the baseboard or shoe moulding.
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 08:37:13 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. Here in the sandy Coachella Valley, they don't offer it as a flooring option because the sand will abrade it mercilessly. Laminate is tough, but there is a limit. Sand will wear down ceramic tile, after all. But in places that don't have a lot of sand, it should work well.
Mary
snipped-for-privacy@qnet.com
Retired aerospace engineers should be able to afford a real sanded finished floor When you live in a hotter ,drier climate use american cherry, pinon or austrailian hardwoods even iron wood that actually does not require finish For a man with the paramount experiences see ken http://allhardwoodfloor.com

own
years.
on
home
I have 2500 sq. feet of Wilsonart laminate in my house. Approx. 200 sq. feet is about 4 years old and the remainder is about 18 months old. I like it a lot better than carpet. I have to say I do like real wood and I had maple in my previous house but I couldn't afford it this time around and I think it scratched much easier than the laminate. I have some scratches in a family room but that was my own fault for pulling big, heavy couches across the floor. The fridge doesn't even scratch the floor when I pull it out in the kitchen. I will probably replace the laminate in my laundry room and guest bath with tile since it doesn't hold up well to water leaks which I seem to have all too often. I had it professionally installed (glued). There are a few spots where the glue has come out of the seems in the laundry room but the rest of the house looks brand new. I have 3 kids and we have A LOT of activity in the house. It isn't the easiest to clean because it shows dirt a lot. I sweep and vacuum a lot. But at least it comes clean. If I had carpet, it would've been ruined a long time ago. All in all, I would choose it again.
I have installed Laminate (Pergo) in my living room, about 5 years ago. It has held up very nicely, but the installer screwed up alot. Mind you, I installed it, so I have only myself to blame. Even with some gaps here and there, it really has held up nicely. Since then, I have installed 22 floors of laminate over the years (I am not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, I just have alot of friends). And while I have gotten better, so has the laminate. I used to swear by the glued laminate, and now I just swear at it. The new stuff that I am installing in the house is here in Canada at Building Box - QuickStyle. Its glueless, waterproof (as found when I dumped a 2L bottle of coke, in the corner, and forgot about it for several hours. I pulled up the laminate to see that it didnt go through. Just a mop, and some cleaner, and looks great. I am going to put it in the bathroom - but I will be putting some glue within the tongue and groove to give it some more water resistance.
The original laminate floor has survived 3 kids, 5 dogs (Collies, and Labs, and yes it is a hoot to see them scurry into the room when you throw a toy, to see them skid across and into a wall. Works well with Guinnea pigs too.
If you are going to install it yourself, I did a 30 x 16 room, in one day, even sleeping in. The kits are cheap ($16.00) that include a pull bar, tap block, and spacers. My floor cost 99 cents / sq foot, (Canadian) Foam underlay was 400 sq feet - $18.00.
If you know someone with a compound sliding miter saw- become friends. I have a non sliding, and just had to flip the board over. Im not that hand with my table saw, but used it for the end cuts along the length of the wall.
I do have some straps used for glued laminates for sale - cheap :)
As for the hollow sounds - there is a material that you can put under the laminate - WhisperWalk, Quiet Walk, etc. It looks alot like ceiling tile. Whow knows - maybe it is. It will deaden the sound, but really, I havent noticed the thud too much. You tune it out.
Scratches are minimized with felt tabs on the furniture, and cleanup is a breeze.
John

Thanks for the report John. That was helpful!
John

John.... was the above installed on a concrete slab floor?
Or was it on top of a wooden floor..... what?
John
It was installed over a wood subfloor, and on top of that I put down some thin mahogany at the time, to smooth over some minor nics/gaps in the subfloor. (it was on sale, can't get it anymore, but I needed to make the subfloor generically flat)
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote in message

On 05 Jan 2004, snipped-for-privacy@custombroker.com (John Roesner) wrote in

I was wondering about this. I would like to put a laminate floor in my bathroom. None of the stuff at Home Depot is the glue-together kind, it's all the snap-together. Are you saying can use glue even with the snap-together stuff that doesn't require it? What kind of glue?

Shop someplace else. You can get good prices and better selection at other stores Ed

Yes, I know. "Home Depot" was just an example, and had nothing to do with my question.
I called up Mannington regarding using their click together floor in bathroom. They said it was superior to using a glued floor in bathroom because the water resistence was built in and not dependent on glue being done correctly. Just follow direction which included silicone around the edges and a vapor barrier underneath and click away...

I'm glad to hear that - the snap installation sounds so much easier than if I had to use glue. Thanks for the advice.

I installed Uniclic flooring from Quick-Step. I used their vapor barrier and caulked around the edges. The floor is holding up fine after two years but their quarter round doesn't. I guess a plastic molding rated for external use would be much better.
EJ.
I just used wood glue to keep it together - not that it probably needed it. I have read about that they make it to be water resistant. The caulking is key though - if it can wick down, and under, I am not sure how it would keep up.