Lint traps for washers?

Never had a washer till now, and the installer said to get a lint trap. Just what is a lint trap and where does it go?
Harri85274 posted for all of us....

They look like a miniature sock made from metal or nylon. They attach to the end of the drain hose with a twist tie (usually). Probably a little diagram on the package. Ask for them at a hardware store. If you have a question as to how they work ask the person selling them to you.
Be advised they WILL clog up and then proceed to spray water everywhere BUT down the drain. Change it sooner rather than later.
--
Tekkie

lint trap. Just

attach to

a little

you have a

you.
everywhere BUT

Serious question, what is the point of having a lint filter? After all, the chances of the washer lint clogging the drain before it gets to the public sewer must be pretty slim (because I never have heard of it happening). TIA.
--
---------------------------
Scall5

If the washer drains into a laundry tub and/or a sump pump, the lint filter will prevent clogging the tub drain or screen on the sump pump. If it drains directly into a stand pipe and then the line to the sewer or septic, it shouldn't be necessary.

old pantyhose works good too

filter
septic,

I think it depends on where your washer drains and how efficient -- or how old -- your plumbing system is. The utility sink our washing machine empties into clogs from lint several times a year.
No point in putting on a lint filter/bag, as no matter what I do they always eventually slip off the end of the hose. Then instead of the lint clogging the sink, the lint bag clogs the sink. Worthless!
Easier and more efficient to reach into the sink's drain hole with a finger or even a pair of needle-nose pliers and periodically drag out the thread, lint, and chunks of towel that catch on the drain guard.
H > Never had a washer till now, and the installer said to get a lint trap. Jus
H > what is a lint trap and where does it go?
It's a mesh thing about 6" long that attaches to the end of the outlet hose of the washer. It, ummm... traps the lint, preventing it from clogging the work sink the washer is being drained in to. (A little still escapes.) (Here the washer drains into a big sink in the basement; I don't think one is necessary if it drains directly into a pipe.)
The lint trap is available in the laundry aisle of your supermarket, in a small box. Should last for months -- just keep an eye on it and you'll know when it's time to replace.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Punny Books: "At The North Pole" By I. C. Blast
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
Tom:
TM> No point in putting on a lint filter/bag, as no matter what I do they TM> always eventually slip off the end of the hose. Then instead of the TM> lint clogging the sink, the lint bag clogs the sink. Worthless!
Yes, that could be a major problem!! Have you tried scoring the hose where the lint filter attaches? Create a little indentation/notch for the clamp/twist tie to grab. (Our's has never fallen off even without the noching -- rubber hose that came with the washer.)
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Moore's Law: Computing power doubles, prices halved, every eighteen months.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
barry martin posted for all of us....

I put a wire tie toward the end of the hose. Slip the lint trap over it and secure. NEVER comes off.
--
Tekkie

Yeah, I've tried wrapping the very end of the discharge hose with several turns of duct tape and putting the little baggie over edge thus created, but it still comes off over the tape. I did fairly well with some nylon baggies that I had a few years ago, but now all I can find is the wire ones and I just cannot get them to cinch tight enough, even pulling the plastic clamp tight with a pliers. Screw it. It doesn't clog that often anyway and it's in an unfinished basement.
Tom Miller wrote:

Why not just tape/clamp a nylon stocking (or a leg of pantyhose) over the drain hose. If the end of the stocking is laying in the sink, there would be no dead weight pulling on the connection. Besides, it would hold much more lint before it needed cleaning. I never did this, so I can't guarantee that it would work, but it may be worth a try.

Then how do explain why I had to call a plumber to smake the pipe? He said it was lint problem.
Hi Tom!
Back after a week visiting my parents....
TM> > | barry martin posted for all of us.... TM> > | TM> > | > Tom: TM> > | > TM> > | > TM> No point in putting on a lint filter/bag, as no matter what I do the TM> TM> > | > TM> always eventually slip off the end of the hose. Then instead of he TM> > | > TM> lint clogging the sink, the lint bag clogs the sink. Worthless! TM> > | > TM> > | > Yes, that could be a major problem!! Have you tried scoring the hosTM> > | > where the lint filter attaches? Create a little indentation/notch f r TM> > | > the clamp/twist tie to grab. (Our's has never fallen off even TM> > | > without the noching -- rubber hose that came with the washer.) TM> > | > TM> > | I put a wire tie toward the end of the hose. Slip the lint trap over i an TM> TM> > | secure. NEVER comes off. TM> > | -- TM> > | Tekkie TM> TM> Yeah, I've tried wrapping the very end of the discharge hose with TM> several turns of duct tape and putting the little baggie over edge TM> thus created, but it still comes off over the tape. I did fairly well TM> with some nylon baggies that I had a few years ago, but now all I can TM> find is the wire ones and I just cannot get them to cinch tight TM> enough, even pulling the plastic clamp tight with a pliers. Screw it. TM> It doesn't clog that often anyway and it's in an unfinished basement.
I would try making a notch in the end of the washing machine's hose for the clamp/wire to grab on to. A pipe cutter would probably make this a very easy job, otherwise make the notch with a knife.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Two rights don't make a wrong, they make an airplane.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:45:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@rime.org (barry martin) wrote:

Barry. Thank you for your remarks. I see that you are determined to "solve" this for me, although it is not really a problem and was not my question in the first place. I merely replied to the OP that the lint bags almost always come off eventually and clog the drain, and that for me they are more trouble than they are worth.
Hi,
Has anybody tried one of these?....
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&NT1811 Washer drain protector, catches lint, threads and strings that could clog the drain.
Did it help/does it help?