Lights blowing out frequently

Page 2 of 2

TC wrote:

How many bulbs?
Do they all blow out simultaneously?
Have you ever cought one blowing out with a bright flash just as you flipped the light switch ON?
Are all the bulbs from the same lot?
Are the bathroom lights also 60 watt bulbs, and if so are they from the same lot?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Just 2 on the same line. We normally use the brand carried by Publix - 60w. It has blown with a bit of a flash but cannnot say if it does it always.

TC wrote:

You didn't respond to Joseph's questions about whether there might be vibration from something near or above the lamps, nor his one about lights dimming or brightening when appliances or other "heavy" loads turn on or off.
I once lived where the folks upstairs had a treadmill located above one of my ceiling light fixtures and I'd swear that the vibration from that made the bulbs in that fixture blow more ofthen than I thought they should. (Not to mention the annoyance of living with that rumble.)
The brightening or dimming of bulbs when appliances turn on or off is usually a symptom of a higher than "zero" resistance in the connection between the power company's lines and the home's breaker panel's neutral buss.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

This is your problem. YOu've heard how bad the Publics hools are, right? You need to use Privatex light bulbs.

I would have bet it was cheap lamps had you not mentioned that it does not do it in the bathroom.
http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/liteBulb.htm

Among whatever other factors get mentioned by others, I suggest a possibility:
You had a blowout and replaced the blowout with a a bad brand/model, leading to a string of frequent replacements.
I suggest avoiding dollar store ones for one thing. I also suggest using ones made in North America, Europe or (less likely for a non-halogen incandescent) Japan rather than China.