Lighting options

I am in the process of putting in overhead lighting in a 24X24 pole barn. It has10 foot ceilings. I am considering fluorescent lighting, understanding I need to get ones with cold weather ballasts. How many should I get and what would be the spacing for them? Same questions if I would choose regular bulb lighting.
Thanks Mike
On 5/2/2011 8:04 AM, c1gmlm wrote:

Mostly depends on purpose/usage for requirements...

I'd suggest you look at metal halide or hps lights. You get more light for the power and they work in cold situations better than florescent.

Consider metal halides. A friend of mine got me five very large ones that came off a hotel in Las Vegas. They put out an awesome amount of light, and it is much like sunlight in its characteristics. Takes a 250w. bulb.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide

How much light you need depends on what you will do and how much light you want. Consider running a some on an extra circuit so its not always super bright.

*Some manufacturers are producing a high output T5 fluorescent fixture. They put out enough light as a high bay fixture, but you have choices of bulbs for color.
You didn't mention what your intentions for the barn is so it is difficult to give some good suggestions as to how many fixtures you need. What you could do is contact a lighting manufacturer or a distributor and give them your dimensions and your intended usage. They will plug the info into their computer and comeback with recommended spacing, lumens, and number of fixtures. There is usually no charge for this service. You may find a distributor online who can do this for you as well.
John Grabowski http://www.MrElectrician.tv