Leveling lot for pole barn

Page 2 of 3
I am going to use it for a garage.

WHO ARE YOU TALKING TO AND WHAT ARE YOU RESPONDING TO? Put some context in your posts if you want to communicate. Let me guess - you're posting via google, and are too lazy or clueless to find the little clicky-box that says "include context so people know WTF I'm responding to", right?
Bam! Dave, you nailed another one.
Bob Swinney

Heh... even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while...
On 23 Jun 2005 05:25:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

OK, then you might want it a little more level. It should pitch toward the door at least some. I assume you will cement the floor. Gravel should always go under the cement floor, or else you might just use gravel for the floor.
I'd just knock off the high end a little and pull it toward the low end. I hope the door is on the low end. Then use the gravel to level after building it. If you dig it down too much, the floor will be below grade and will flood when it rains. Either way, be sure to put treated boards (such as center match 2x6) around the perimeter at ground level. You dont want cement or gravel against the tin siding. I have a small shed that someone built that way, and it rusted off at the base. I finally cut off the bottom edge of the tin and installed the boards.
Finally, whatever you do for the floor, be sure it's above the outside ground level, especially if you dont use rain gutters. I know a guy that built a pole type garage, dug it into a hill and ended up with a mud hole to work on cars, and cars got stuck inside the garage and he had ice in winter. Plus he had the doors on the high side. Poor design all the way around. He is now stuck adding at least 8" of fill and gravel and pouring the cement. By the time he's done he will lose one foot of ceiling height.
Mark
The high side is on the right and the lower side on the left. The door is in the middle? Is that bad?
door

Is that looking from the inside out or the outside in?

Not, if the roof is on the top, and the middle on the back. You can also have the lower left rear corner on the downhill side of the area. But this might be forbidden by local regulations. If you look at the barn from the other side, everything changes, expect where the roof goes. But you already knew!
BTW: Do you know, why mirrors flip left/right sides but not bottom/top?
Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
<http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Nick Mller wrote:

Sure! My 5-year old told me some years ago--"Why, they're <made> that way, Daddy!" w/ the tone and additude <only> available at that age... :)

I've tried to educate you as to why you're not communicating well. Others have tried to educate you on how to fix your problem with your dirt leveling. You seem to be amazingly clue-resistant, to the point where it can only be intentional. It's obvious that you're here neither to learn, nor to contribute anything.
So...buh-bye, clue-resistant entity.
what do you mean by try to be smart?
Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
<http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote

level
barn
means
sounds.
height
seat
Bingo
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

That's a lot more constructive and useful answer than some..
As has been suggested, you're wasting your time with the string level. 7" over the area you're working with is more than your present tool can determine- use something worthwhile or just live with what you've got.
Set the posts as you've been advised to in other strings. You say you've got a new baby- if he (or she) is ever going to be in this barn do you want it built to some bare minimum that you may not be qualified to judge? Don't be fucking around with this sort of thing, it'll be a waste of your time and the time of those here who have tried to help you (and you'll also be a menace to yourself, your family and anyone else who may enter your building when the wind is blowing). You'll have a hard time finding more qualified advice than some of the people here, take their word for how to do things.. like the water level instead of that lame string level.
John

Google around March 10 by Ignoramus for this very same subject - lots of posts. Ken.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

An actual Pole Barn, right? I'm afraid I fail to see, or understand, how tilling the ground has anything to do with what you're trying to accomplish. So, either I misunderstand or you need to provide a lot more detail about whatyou're trying to build and how. Tilling is not a reliable way to move dirt around for levelling because it'll compress unevenly afterwards. Are you planning a bare dirt floor?
Cheers,
PopS
I am tilling the ground then scraping away the loose dirt with a front tractor loader.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You'll never (or at least are unlikely to) get a good final grade until you get a leveling blade or at least a box blade you can put some skids on. Got a neighbor you can borrow from?
Not really. Might be able to buy a box blade. What is a leveling blade and how do you use it?
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Don't feed the trolls. You'll see what I mean.

So how deep should you dig the post holes? <VBG>