Lending library for tools

Page 2 of 2
On 5/5/2008 2:09 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Or perhaps a kibbutz ...
conversation with the average voter.

It would get me to vote NO. Why should tax dollars be use to lend tools?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Why should tax dollars be used to lend books?

Why not? They're used to rent hookers.
Steve
On Tue, 6 May 2008 08:52:12 -0800, "SteveB"

I'd rather buy hookers than more legislation.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Books and DVDs get stolen. Now Tools? LOL
On 5/5/2008 3:44 AM Bob spake thus:

I'm a borrower at my local tool lending library, the Temescal Branch of the Oakland Public Library. They've been lending a broad range of tools for more than a decade now with none of the problems you've posed here. They have everything from ordinary hand tools to gardening stuff to tile saws to hammer drills, Sawzalls, post-hole diggers, grinders, routers, you name it.
The staff is knowledgeable, but they will tell you that they don't know everything about how to use every tool. That's why they also have a large selection of how-to books there.
It works quite well, and everyone's happy with it.
conversation with the average voter.
On 5/5/2008 10:32 AM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

I just came back from the tool lending library (returned the Makita side grinder I borrowed), so I can tell you that they've actually been around for nine years and have never had a liability problem, once, in all that time.
It's pretty simple, really: borrowers sign a liability waiver, which protects the library from claims against it in case of injury. The guy there said he remembered exactly one case of someone cutting themself on a table saw, but that it didn't result in any litigation against the library. (File under "shit happens", I suppose.)
You can look at their web info at http://www.oaklandlibrary.org/Branches/tll_toolsched.html .
conversation with the average voter.

Okay good input but how do they keep costs in check. I imagine most tools are donated but what about maintenance. When a tool breaks or needs sharpning (for example) who pays for it? Do they have tool volunteers or is the library staff expected to do that too.
We are building a new library in my town but no talk about tools. We do have a separate "lend - A - Tool" shed operated by the town with mostly yard tools for the purpose of promoting better looking neighborhoods.
pipedown wrote: ...

I'm sure it's part of the operating budget of the library. Oakland is a large enough municipality in a high-tax 'n spend environment it's undoubtedly peanuts in the city/county budgets for the libraries, anyway.
Small community, no tools (and doubt if would ever try it), but about everything in the way of mainstream alternate media--books on tape, CD/DVD, video, etc., etc. On Foundation board; it's City, not County so as county resident not eligible to sit on library board itself, unfortunately.
High percentage of popular fiction, of course, but good selection of most genres; virtually any title available through inter-library loan at no cost to patron.

Ours is funded through a block grant. I am assuming there is money in the budget for repairs and replacement.
JK

I live in the metro Milwaukee area, and there are two locations of a "tool loan program". Here is a little info about one -
http://www.milwaukee.gov/NeedTheRightToolForT16686.htm
JK

I would think some moron would cut their finger off and sue. Plus a lot of people who rent stuff are clueless about how it works, and will either mess it up or hurt themselves.
Steve
:There was an article in Saturday's paper about our local library :considering lending tools as well as books. It mentioned such :things as cement mixers, saws, etc. : :At first, I thought it was an interesting idea, but on second :thought I imagined how those tools could, and probably would, be :abused by people who don't know how to use them or care for them, or :just don't care. : :For example: :"I didn't know you weren't supposed to cut tile with a skill saw". :"I didn't realize there were nails in that old 2 X 4 - but the saw :cut them pretty good". :"Rain wasn't forecast, so I thought it would be okay to leave the :miter saw outside since I was going to use it in the morning". :"I thought I'd washed the concrete mixer pretty good - guess not". :Etc - etc. : :Then there is the liability problem: :"Your Honor, nobody showed me how to use that router well enough, :and that's how I lost a finger, and why I am suing the city". : :The article said there are other libraries that loan tools. Is :anyone aware of this practice and how it works in reality? : :Just curious - Bob-tx : We've had a TLL in our town for many years and I occasionally use it. It's less than a 2 minute bike ride from my house. I've never had a problem with it, to be honest. The tools have always worked. There are always two guys there and they are always friendly, if at times a little harried.
They don't have everything. After many years they are aware of what tools are worth having on hand and which ones aren't. Sometimes you have to buy your own bit or blade, and that's just the way things go. Some tools sort or require that. That's only happened to me one or two times.
There are certain tools that you are only apt to need once and never again. For that a TLL is perfect.
Plus the guys behind the counter are knowledgable and many many times I've bounced an idea off them and they've had a terrific response, something I didn't know or wouldn't have thought of. It's great karma, really. Try to bring the tool back in as good a condition as you found it.
Dan