left-hand trip lever

I've seen toilets advertised with left-hand and right-hand trip levers. What's the difference? Aren't they all operated with the left hand?

Reply to
Bill Rider

Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Dec 2007 11:31:47p, Bill Rider meant to say...

Not if the trip handle is on the right side of the tank.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I don't remember seeing one on the right. In pictures I've seen, right-hand trip levers are shown on the left.

Reply to
Bill Rider

Kind of pointless? As long as it flushes properly does it matter? And like autos which is the left or right side anyway; while facing the toilet or while sitting on the thing? The flush lever on ours is, for want of a better term, on the starboard side. It can be operated by either hand.

Reply to
terry

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

"right" and "left" can be confusing since they're relative to the observer. Are you standing up facing the toilet, or sitting on the toilet?

Also note that "hand" (as in "right hand lever") is unnecessary.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I don't remember flushing a toilet while sitting on it, but I think I'd reach across as with a shoulder holster, thus using the same hand I'd use facing it.

I wouldn't try flushing with my mouth. The next user might find the saliva on the lever unsanitary.

Reply to
Bill Rider

re: And like autos which is the left or right side anyway

The industry standard is that right and left are determined from the driver's perspective while seated forward-facing in the driver's seat.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

By googling "tank" along with "right-hand trip lever" I've found pictures of tanks with levers on the right-hand side. I haven't found any pictures of right-hand trip levers on the front of the tank (the side away from the wall), so I guess it's for clearance as you say, and not hand preference.

Reply to
Bill Rider

re: I don't remember flushing a toilet while sitting on it

You mean you've never done a courtesy flush? How rude! ;-)

Courtesy flushes hide foul noises and eliminate foul odors.

P.S. I just reach back with my right hand.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

To the contrary, when I went to the head as a student at Governors Island, others would knock on the stall door and ask me please not to flush when I finished. I attributed it to the high content of rose petals in my diet. As for foul noises, I had once taken tuba lessons. I don't think I ever tooted off pitch. :)

Reply to
Bill Rider
[snip]

I have known people to do that, after depositing so much material that waiting to flush, would lead to an overflow.

I suppose you know that I didn't mean anything of the sort. The NAME of the flush lever doesn't need to tell you what body part to use to operate it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd