Leaky Electrical Wire

The wire cord on my refrigerator is leaking electricity. I keep seeing electric dripping to the floor and it sparks when it hits the floor. I put some plunbers puddy on the wire but it still dripped out. Then I tried cauck and that did not work either. Today I wrapped duck tape on it but it still drips. The sparks are making the floor rot where they drip. What can I do to stop this?

George

Reply to
georgeh6026

take your meds?

Reply to
CJT

georgeh6026@___gmail.com wrote in news:3qkak2d7ahbbehunrfcdcd9l19n6ohooph@

4ax.com:

That's the problem. You use cheap ass WalMart duck tape. You need official ducT tape

Al Bundy

This is a rather common mistake. Plumbers putty is for pipe, not wire. You need electricians putty. It's sold right next to the wirenut wrenches and wire stretchers.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Also, sometimes the discrete logic flip-flop circut can overload the 10 cajillion picofarad capaictor that is wired in parallel with the compressor. This can often cause excessive backpressure in the polarized electrical ions, which can leak out through the strain relief and often can end up causing the problem you speak of.

As most people recommend electricians putty, which can be a good short term fix, the way i would approach it is to partially remove the plug from the wall and connect the two pins with a butterknife. This will purge the excessive backpressure of the ions causing the leak to slow. After that i would attempt to tip the refrigerator over onto yourself, although this would not allow me to post these types of responses....

Josh

Reply to
joshers17

Replace the cord and be done with it. Otherwise you're just wasting electricity.

-zero

Reply to
-zero

Hmmm, For you, unplug the cord. Or put a sheet of Al. foil inderneath so the electricity will bounce back into the wire. Or put a box of cat litter underneath the wire.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Use Baking Soda. Heloise says that fixes everything.

Reply to
Pat

Put a pan under the leak and catch the electricity and pour it back into the socket. It helps to hold on to a copper water pipe while you do this to keep one hand grounded ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull
061029 2151 - Tim Fischer posted:

...and the solar powered flashlights...

Reply to
indago

At least the OP doesn't have a major leak, such as you get if you forget to put a bulb back in before you turn on the switch.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

G:

Put a bucket under the wire and set the collected electricity out for the meter reader. They'll dump it back in at the generator.

Cordially yours: G P

Reply to
pawlowsk002

snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu spake thus:

Except that that won't work, since, as we all know, all the electricity you collect under the fridge will be *static* electricity. You have to take it to your local power company and have them run it through one of their substations to turn it into normal juice.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl