Cracking Concrete/Pool

I had some concrete laid around my swimming pool (~1200ft), that is cracking at almost every expansion joint and a few large cracks around the pool steps and diving board.

What is the best way to repair this? I had the concrete laid in March of this year and it's been through the summer. Should I wait for it to go through the colder months and then have it repaired?

I plan on getting someone to lay down decorative concrete (pool deck design) on top of this concrete.

What's the best approach?

Tks

Reply to
bill.talbott

I am having a local company resurface my deck later this month to the tune of $11,000. Same problem as yours but mine is 18 years old and the cracks have stabilized. Mine have been stable for about 4 years. It is an expensive project so, in my opinion, the longer you wait, the better off you will be .. unless water freezing in the cracks could cause problems. I am in a desert area where freezing is not a problem.

You might want to wait another year or so. During that time carefully observe the cracks to make sure they are not enlarging. Even though the resurfacing material is somewhat flexible it cannot hurt to make sure the concrete has done its thing as far as cracks are concerned.

Norm

Reply to
NSN

No problem with too much freezing. I'm in Northwest FL, so doesn't get too cold here. I was just wondering if I should try to seal up the cracks in the concrete or leave it alone for a while as you suggest?

NSN wrote:

Reply to
CyberExorcist

I would get the company back to your house NOW.

It's their problem and you should tell them so. I'd get the paperwork to take his contractors license from him for such a rotten job.

No way should it be cracking.

Stick up for the money you paid! Better yet, forward the paperwork and the phone number, I'll take them on for you.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

And the only suitable thing in my mind to do would be to re-lay all the concrete (which is probably something they will not be willing to do). I still have not paid them for the concrete job ($5000). His answer was "Concrete will crack, there's nothing that can be done about it". My only issue is that EVERY expansion joint has cracked and I have spalling and those 2 large cracks in the cement already.

So, the only thing I could think of would be one of the following:

  1. Redo the job (probably not going to happen)

  1. Repair cracks and put a decorative coat> snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
CyberExorcist

It certainly would not hurt to contact the State Contractor's License Board and have them look at it. If they say that it was not properly done, it will have to be re-done. If not, nothing lost except a bit of time.

Reply to
NSN

Whatever you do, don't pay him another red cent!

My patio is cracked (50 yr old) and I am tiling over it. It's 77 cents per square foot. I figure I can do the entire project for $400 (300 sq ft and grout.) Tiling is a DIY now that there are spacers. That little piece of plastic eliminates that journeyman.

Mrs. Clean

CyberExorcist wrote:

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN