Leaking fuel from mower

I am rusty with carburetors.
I found gas in the bottom of the air filter holder for a sears mower.
Took the fuel bowl off. I think I need to adjust the float but the float is plastic with no adjustment tab.
In the old days, I think the "tang" could be adjusted.
I want to adjust the needle so it makes contact sooner to stop the gas flow.
Any other way to adjust it ?
Thanks.
On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:36:10 -0700 (PDT), Andy

Whoa, there fella. You have given us way too much information to answer that question. Sorry.
On Saturday, April 27, 2013 2:53:32 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:

That's a first. Way to much info. :-)
Andy
On 4/27/2013 3:53 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

And he is clearly in the wrong place. This group is for endless pointless arguments. One extremist starts out proclaiming something that is a mindless belief for them to be followed by a long chain of other extremists ping ponging "you are stupid" "no you are stupid.
The OP might be better off going say here:
http://www.selfhelpforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f
or here:
http://www.landscapejuicenetwork.com/forum/categories/garden-machinery/listForCategory
I thought it was a place to poke fingers in the air and complain about Obama? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

And he is clearly in the wrong place. This group is for endless pointless arguments. One extremist starts out proclaiming something that
is a mindless belief for them to be followed by a long chain of other extremists ping ponging "you are stupid" "no you are stupid.
On 04/27/2013 12:36 PM, Andy wrote:

I'd spray some WD-40 on it if it was me, that usually fixes things.
Jon
On Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:08:39 PM UTC-5, Jon Danniken wrote:

WD-40 would clean up some dirt, but not help with my problem.
Andy
On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 15:38:11 -0700 (PDT), Andy

Then the solution is obviously duct tape.
It's very possible that gasoline has seeped into the float. Try shake it, listen for liquid. You may need to replace the float.
I hope you didn't vote for that Obama guy. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I am rusty with carburetors.
I found gas in the bottom of the air filter holder for a sears mower.
Took the fuel bowl off. I think I need to adjust the float but the float is plastic with no adjustment tab.
In the old days, I think the "tang" could be adjusted.
I want to adjust the needle so it makes contact sooner to stop the gas flow.
Any other way to adjust it ?
Thanks.

tment tab.

ow.

If the mower previously was working ok, and then sat idle for a few months, the needle valve shutoff area may be clogged with gunk.. Carburetor cleaner on everything would be what I would try. Can you see gas going into the intake manifold when the carburetor is assembled and you put gas in the tank? If you can, and you have sprayed cleaner on everything in sight, your float may be gasoline sogged and you will nbe a new one. You should tell us the engine mfgr, engine size, two-storke or 4-stroke, any id on the carburetor that you can see.
IF you can do that, you might start to get some sensible comments instead of frustrated older guys who don't like anything and do like to complain to the whole world.

tment tab.

ow.

Before attempting adjustment, I'd investigate to find out what's really going on. It seems odd that if it's been OK since day one that suddenly the leaking gas is due to the float being misadjusted. I guess it's possible, but first I'd rule out that it's not sticking, the float valve isn't rusted, gunked up, filled with gas, etc. As far as adjusting, all the ones I've seen you do by bending them.
On Saturday, April 27, 2013 2:36:10 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:

Thanks for all the replies.
It turned out that the bowl gasket was dirty and stretched.
Andy
On 4/27/2013 2:36 PM, Andy wrote:

I don't agree with your diagnosis. You didn't tell anyone what brand engine. Some float needles have a rubber tip that seals off the fuel. Most Briggs and Stratton have a red o-ring up in the fuel tube that the tip of the needle seals against. It is unusual but not unheard of to replace this red o-ring and/or float needle. If the float does not have a hole in it and it moves freely on its pivot pin, it should seal off the fuel just fine. If it is a Briggs, make sure you clean the cross hole at the bottom of the bolt that holds the fuel bowl on. A bit of carb cleaner through all passages while the carb is off and a good seal against the block when reinstalling should fix fuel issues.
--

Keep the whole world singing . . .