Leaking Electric Chainsaw

Last autumn, my Poulan stopped dead. Thought the thing was broke for good.
Put it in a big plastic tray; immediately oil leaked all over the place.
After winter ice storms, needed saw, took it to supposedly trusty repairman.
Repairman says nothing wrong at all. Claims to change blade and refill oil.
Bring saw home. Put it on workbench. Didn't use; too much other work.
Month later, oil all over the bench and floor.
I read the thread on bar oil. Would that solve the problem?
Probably just bar oil leaking out - Just make sure it has some when you use it. Pour out excess when you are not using saw so it doesn't leak where you do not want it.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

No.
You have a cheap saw with a cheap oiler. It is designed to leak the oil slowly, not meter it out (which would take a more expensive mechanism). Either empty the oil out when you store it, or put it in a tray to catch the spill.

I have one of those chains saws on a long pole and it leaks oil too. It was only $90 and does a great job - so it is worth the hassle. I use a dish pan to catch the oil when I store it.
I have taken of 8 inch thick branches that were 15 feet up in a tree. No need to climb anymore. Nice deal. Us old guys are not that stable anymore - even when we don't drink :-)
Harry
Harry wrote:

I hear you, Harry!!!
On 27 Jun 2005 04:10:09 -0700, in alt.home.repair RE: Leaking

Sometimes the oil just leaks out through the oil passage. If this is a cheapie saw, then that may be the problem. Try storing the saw upside down. That works for me with my cheapie.

There is probably transformer oil leaking from the transformer that supplies electricity to your house. It's running thru the wires and leaking out. Call the power company and bitch like hell till they replace the goddamn thing. Also, take the chainsaw back to the repair man and beat the fuck out of him with it. Use the chain and smack him in the head as hard as you can with it. If you dont draw blood, do it again and again until he drops to the floor and begs for mercy. Then kick him in the teeth and leave. Be sure to grab several new chain saws on the way out the door. Leave yours behind, it's junk.
Officer Redneck BWPD (Back woods Police Dept)
On 27 Jun 2005 04:10:09 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"