Leaking bathroom sink faucet question

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread

My older home has a bathroom sink faucet unit made by Eljer, which is
leaking hot water from the spout.  With other faucet units, I would
usually just pry off the cap on the hot water handle and loosen the
screw to get to the washer.  However this handle does not have a cap.
Instead the handle is a solid unit shaped kinda like a mushroom.  How do
  I get to the washer under the hot water handle?  I am reluctant to
force it off because I don't want to break or bend anything.  Thanks for
any advice.

Re: Leaking bathroom sink faucet question

Look at the top of the mushroom closely.  Doesn't the
top of the mushroom pry off?
I don't recall any Eljers that didn't have a stem screw on top.

Jim

Re: Leaking bathroom sink faucet question

Some of the Eljers are covered in this pdf.
http://www.plumbingspecialties.com/downloads/DeltatoIndiana.pdf

Bill

Re: Leaking bathroom sink faucet question

The faucet unit I have is the Eljer Ultima Slant-Back Lavatory on page
1-76.  Can you tell from the diagrams how to get the handle off?  I
can't figure it out.  It definitely does not have a cap that covers the
screw and washer.  And I don't see an Allen set screw on the backside of
the handle.  Thanks.

Re: Leaking bathroom sink faucet question

Try screwing the mushroom off. It might be threaded into the handle.
My faucet is like that. It had a chrome cap. At first I tried to pry
it off, it didn't budge. Then I found out it was threaded.

Re: Leaking bathroom sink faucet question

Most likely it has an allen set screw on the backside of the handle
Moen sends replacement cartridges free if u go to their website, they
also furnish instructions along with the parts. Check if Elger has a
site

tenplay Wrote:
> My older home has a bathroom sink faucet unit made by Eljer,
which is
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum, but I signed up, just because I can answer this
question.
:)

There is a slot on the side of the handle.  This will be under the
mushroom.
Just stick a screw driver in the slot & push.  Then the
handle will lift off.

Once the handle is removed, then you will see a set screw to remove the
handle
adapter.  Once the adapter is removed, then you will need a
plumber's wrench (or
other deep socket wrench) to remove the stem
assembly/cartridge.  Then once you
have this removed, then you will
need a "square wrench" to remove the seat at
the bottom of the
cartridge.  a square wrench looks a lot like an alan wrench,
but there
are only 4 sides.

The style of this faucet is the "Ultima".  Possible sources for these
repair
parts:

www.brasscraft.com
www.plumbingpartsdepot.com