Leaking bathroom sink faucet question

My older home has a bathroom sink faucet unit made by Eljer, which is leaking hot water from the spout. With other faucet units, I would usually just pry off the cap on the hot water handle and loosen the screw to get to the washer. However this handle does not have a cap. Instead the handle is a solid unit shaped kinda like a mushroom. How do I get to the washer under the hot water handle? I am reluctant to force it off because I don't want to break or bend anything. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
tenplay

Look at the top of the mushroom closely. Doesn't the top of the mushroom pry off? I don't recall any Eljers that didn't have a stem screw on top.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Some of the Eljers are covered in this pdf.

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

Most likely it has an allen set screw on the backside of the handle Moen sends replacement cartridges free if u go to their website, they also furnish instructions along with the parts. Check if Elger has a site

Reply to
ififlyfish

The faucet unit I have is the Eljer Ultima Slant-Back Lavatory on page

1-76. Can you tell from the diagrams how to get the handle off? I can't figure it out. It definitely does not have a cap that covers the screw and washer. And I don't see an Allen set screw on the backside of the handle. Thanks.
Reply to
tenplay

Try screwing the mushroom off. It might be threaded into the handle. My faucet is like that. It had a chrome cap. At first I tried to pry it off, it didn't budge. Then I found out it was threaded.

Reply to
Mikepier

which is

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum, but I signed up, just because I can answer this question. :)

There is a slot on the side of the handle. This will be under the mushroom. Just stick a screw driver in the slot & push. Then the handle will lift off.

Once the handle is removed, then you will see a set screw to remove the handle adapter. Once the adapter is removed, then you will need a plumber's wrench (or other deep socket wrench) to remove the stem assembly/cartridge. Then once you have this removed, then you will need a "square wrench" to remove the seat at the bottom of the cartridge. a square wrench looks a lot like an alan wrench, but there are only 4 sides.

The style of this faucet is the "Ultima". Possible sources for these repair parts:

-alex

Reply to
AlexD