leak under my kitchen sink

I have an intermittent leak under my kitchen sink. When we find water on the shelf under the sink I dig everything out of the cabinet and look for the drip site but by that time it is dry every where except the shelf. this has gone on for sometime and to no avail in finding the leak.

Sorry to hear it.
Do you have a dish washer? Maybe it only leaks when the dishwasher is in use. How about a disposal? How about a water filter?
I'd clear everything out, get a bright light under there, and try all the fixtures. If that fails, keep everything in place and check frequently until you can spot the cause.
There are only a few places that can leak. Pipe joints, around the sink edges, hoses for sprayers, etc.
--
Dan Espen

On 4/8/2015 12:49 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

wood underneath the sink. Good Luck finding it.

Good advice. I should have mentioned that the standing water can do a lot of damage pretty quickly. Don't put off dealing with this.
--
Dan Espen

i suppose it could be a Drain pipe, sink or dishwasher, as opposed to an inlet pipe
just wondering
marc

My shelves were particle board. Three out of four have been replaced with siding of some sort, whatever I had scraps of.
On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-4, Tom Burgess wrote:

Dig everything back out and line it with tinfoil so you can hear when it drips.
On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 16:44:01 +0000, Tom Burgess

You could wrap the pipes with toilet paper. Of course the water would flow down the pipe and get much of the paper wet, and it would flow up the pipe by capillary action in the paper, so it wouldn't narrow it down tremendously, but it's all I could think of so far.
Is the wet spot on the shelf shaped like a circle? Can you take the center of the circle and look above it?
On 04/08/2015 11:44 AM, Tom Burgess wrote:

May be nothing to do with the piping
possibly the seal around the sink is bad in one area
On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 16:44:01 +0000, Tom Burgess

It appears this is another of those old threads from years ago, but regardless, the first thing to do is protect the wood. Buy a $4 plastic dishpan or litter box at a dollar store, and put that under the sink. Empty regularly.
Having worked as a plumber for years, there is only one way to find a leak. Turn on the water, fill the sink, etc. While doing this, crawl under the sink with a good light, and LOOK for the spot.... It could be a bad faucet that leaks at the spout swivel, or leak around the sink's rim. More likely it's the drain pipes, or a bad seal around where the strainer basket attaches to the sink itself. It's obviously not the water supply pipes, or it would leak ALL THE TIME.
There is no leak that can be determined by anyone on this newsgroup. But now you know what to look for. Only YOU or a plumber can actually locate the leak. You need to get under there and look for the source of the leak. There is no other way!
On 4/8/2015 6:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Just go to the dollar store. Buy three items. Use the three plastic bags you'll get.
On 4/8/2015 6:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

http://www.smokeybear.com/ Only you and your plumber can prevent forest fires!
--
.
Christopher A. Young
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com writes:

On the contrary. The original post is 7 hours old.
--
Dan Espen

That's what I meant..... 7 years *IS* years ago. All posts from a random name followed by a whole series of randon letters and numbers, and ending with @example.com are reposts from the past. It did not take long to carch on to this.
Some provide useful help, but not to the OP, because the OP is long gone. I was going to filter them out, but some are still interesting.
I really do wonder why they do these reposts. They must think this group needs more activity!
On 4/9/2015 3:48 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I think example dot com is Home Owners Hub, the web interface. They usually have no clue they are invading the old Usenet.
On 04/08/2015 10:44 AM, Tom Burgess wrote:

Slip joint on the U trap? Every now and then the sink drains slowly so there's standing water above the joint?