Leak Around Window - I can't find the source. Request advice or comments, please.

We have been in our 2 story brick home for 2 years now. I have found that when it rains, a spot of sheet rock on the bottom left of a window gets wet. It appears as if the water is on the inside of the wall wetting the sheet rock. It appears to be a preexisting condition that the seller painted over and I failed to catch un till a few months ago.

Also, the carpet by our back door gets wet when it rains hard. It doesn't appear that rain is flowing under the door or splashing in.

How to I fix these problems? Do I get a ladder and calk any chinks in the brick or mortar. I wouldn't even know who to call if I needed a pro to fix it. Do I call a carpenter, a plumber.......damned if I know.

Any advice on where to start would be great. I'm not a great DIY'er but I have a big ladder ( the little giant - not a bad ladder ) and I can caulk like hell. I have to caulk because the wife will not allow me to use the expanding foam anymore.

Thanks

E R I C

Reply to
Eric Kent

Visit

and review their technical reports about how brick is supposed to be installed above and around windows with flashing and weep holes. Yours obviously was not done correctly. Probably a code violation and you may have to sue the builder. Even if you bought it used the builder may still be liable for code violations. Depends on statute of limitations in your state. In fact the original buyer may have been prevented from suing due to a binding arbitration clause but you are probably in a legal position to sue the builder if you do it right away. You have a problem that will cost thousands of dollars to fix most likely because every window and door is probably defectively flashed. Will result in rotted studs.

Reply to
Art

I assume you mean normal rains, not hurricane force. A surprise, for me, after one of our Fl. hurricanes was to learn than wind can drive rain through a concrete block wall .. worse with newer walls with fewer coats of paint. So, I suppose that might apply to brick.

Is wet wall first or second floor? If first floor, is there a bath above? Been up in the attic to check inside of roof/attic? For sure, if there are openings in masonry, do fix them. Might need to point those. For starters, I would for sure caulk the outside of the window carefully .. being meticulous to clean it up best you can according to instructions on product. Need to open the window to see if there are gaps in the frame that let water in. Glazing is good?

Back door .. what kind? window? How close to ground?

Reply to
Norminn

Art may be correct in that all windows are not flashed properly, but I'd find the problem before considering a lawsuit. It will cost you a lot less to fix the problem than to sue. If it's limited to one window, it certainly won't cost you thousands of dollars. Furthermore, if the problem is no or improper sealing, you probably have no grounds.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport