Leaf Blowers

Page 2 of 3
CGB wrote:

I wore out a gasoline blower/vac. Now I have an electric and it does the job just fine but it's not a vac, only a blower. I just use it to blow my driveway off. I have a tractor with a bagger for leaves. This is way better for leaves.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
my craftsman 5HP shop vac doubles as a leaf blower. works great.
install some outdoor outlets to make dragging cord easier.
on back of home, on or in shed, back corner of yard.
useful for other projects, convenmience is nice.
I put mine on a master switch in my basement after finding my neighbors liked the conveience of my electric outlets for projects in their yards.......:(
it wasnt the electric they were using, it was the principle of the thing and not asking first. plus onew harrased my grandma to turn trhe outlets on..... bad approach

Electric is lighter, cheaper, more powerfull, quieter, no fumes, easy to start, but the cord stinks. Gas is portable, I have an Echo. If you go electric you will need very large gauge wire, that is heavy, to no have voltage drop that ruins motors on long runs. Get both.

a 12 or even 14 gauge extension is fine for a half acre

12 is heavy I use it, the statement of 14 is good means absolutely nothing, its feet run, power consumed-needed, and Voltage at the unit. So post power needed, voltage at unit and ft run, or do you always guess and have no true idea of what your blower actualy gets.

small lot with hopefully a few well placed outside outlets, mean extension cords need not be long.
14 gauge is adquate for 15 amps, how many amps does your leaf blower use?

A 14ga extension cord 100ft, using 15a, will have 9.1v drop. A Toro that needs 120v wont get it on 125 from the house. I will bet 99% of all motor failures on home stuff like blowers is from low voltage. And folks think because its an orange cord its fine, but alot are 16ga, I have 12 and they are heavy, so I use gas.
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:02:43 -0800 (PST), ransley

Don't forget to figure in the voltage drop between the service entrance panel and the outlet.
I have tried a 100 foot 14 gauge side by side with a 12 gauge 100 footer with my leaf blower last year. There is quite a noticible difference in RPM's.

(Ignore any previous half-post)
Another vote here for a good bagging and/or mulching lawnmower. Saves money, time, and space.

i mostly grind leaves to dust, it fertilizes the grass, and is better for the environment
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:06:30 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

It really depends on how many leaves you have. I mow and mulch when they first start falling. After that I blow&vac the rest and put them in a pile to compost. If I mowed and mulched the entire output from my trees, and left it in place, it would kill the lawn
mike wrote:

Still need a blower anyway, for the spots the mower won't fit, and for the gutters and snow. My 6-horse honda-pwered mulching mower was not happy with me after I did the way-back with it. Of course, this year I happened to be out of town when the major drop happened, so they were pretty deep by the time I got back. Now we are into sleet and snow, so I may not get a chance to do cleanup till spring....
-- aem sends...

My $.02:
For leaves too deep to mulch with a mower, no gas or electric blower will do what a big tarp and a rake can accomplish.
Kind of off this topic, but today while driving around town, southwest suburb of Chicago, I saw a lady in a wheel chair raking leaves with a leaf rake! She doesn't need no stinkin leaf blower!
The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

Also off topic --
I once planned a lawn party, and on the day of the event my wife called me to say that a friend of hers had come into town to visit, was going to be at the party and wanted to know if there was anything she could do to help.
Since it was the fall season, I told my wife that her friend could help by keeping the lawn clear of leaves. What I didn't know was that her friend was a high-fashion model from Hong Kong who had never lived outside of a big city.
When I got home I discovered this beautiful model in a Dior gown standing in my yard next to a trashbag. Every time a leaf fell off the tree she would walk over, daintily pick it up by the stem and put it into the bag, then wait for the next one.
if shes gonna blow leaves get her the electric. if your gonna do em ,get the gas powered.

I have tried several types and now satisfied with a gas-powered back-pack type. I have about 200 trees and it does a fast job of moving an 8-foot mound of leaves. I use it in the summer to sweep sidewalks and driveways. An electric model simply doesn't have the power and is a joke. Pine needles nor pine cones don't blow so easily, at least the ones in my yard.
Phisherman wrote:

I have a lot of leaves too and agree with your solution. I bought the second-largest Echo and it does a great job. A couple of winters ago, we had about a foot of very dry snow overnight and my blower did a great job of cleaning the driveway. Fun stuff! Not possible with the typical heavy snow though.

You want the gas one. Get it.
Electric ones are not that expensive. $50 for a Toro blower/vac, $25 for a Weed Eater blower(only). B&D probably has some models too. Get the blower for her. Maybe she'll return the favor:-)