Lead in domestic piping

Page 2 of 2

I have to get answers to all the new questions being asked. Their belief is that the lead is a new problem, and I'm not sure how they determined that

RBM wrote:

Look at the impellers on the pump. They may very well be crappy brass that is so eroded that it overwhelms the lead filtration system.

The water tested lead free after the filtration system, then becomes contaminated in the internal piping system

bet the old test years ago was in error
PEX makes replumbing easy:)
just do the ones you drink

bet the old test years ago was in error
PEX makes replumbing easy:)
just do the ones you drink
I have a sneaky suspicion that you're correct

Assuming your test results are what they seem, I'd be looking at the faucets -- especially the one from which the tested water was drawn.
However, I wouldn't overlook the possibility that one of the lab tests produced a false positive (or negative). And I would certainly want independent confirmation before I started replacing a significant amount of piping!
Gary Player. |

independent agency and lab, for the express purpose of verifying the previous tests, which were done by different people, but used the same lab. Why would you suspect a faucet?

Pipes don't typically change suddenly. Faucets do. Parts break and come adrift which could potentially expose some metal/material that was not previously in contact with the water.
My current home is around ~20 years old. I've never had to touch any pipes. But several faucets have required some attention over the past 5 years.
Also you have much higher water velocities in a faucet, compared to a clear pipe run. So the potential for lead uptake is probably greater at that point.
And faucets are just plain spooky! Weird things happen with and to and at them ;-) Think water hammer and other fluid dynamics effects.
RBM wrote:

Ah, okay. Get a mess of these test kits for $5.00 each - each kit is good for four tests.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
They won't quantify the results, only whether significant lead is present. Then test each water outlet.
You may be able to pinpoint the source of the contamination. Heck, it might turn out that only a single faucet is the culprit!

Why not first instal a filter at a sink so there is no health issue, I have used Everpure for years, Airlines, our military, maybe McDonalds and Coke use it, years ago in my filter buying research Shacklee also had one with impressive ratings. Mine single cartrige Everpure is about 15 years old and cartriges last years for us and no leaks yet. Maybe Chinese brass is the issue? Power to ground should be easy for you to test. But I bet you have found a new Chinese health issue, Lead.

In all likelihood, he doesn't have any gooseneck, lead or otherwise, out at the street -- unless you think his well is in the street.

Oops, I didn't see the word "well", oh well. Well, then it seems like he probably doesn't have a gooseneck.
But re-reading his post, he is filtering out lead from his well. So the first question would be "is the filter working". The second thought would be that the pH has changed and therefore the lead is leaching from deposits built up over the years before he put in the filter.
Yep, no gooseneck, only pitless adapter. The tests reveal that the filters are removing the lead from the water, but then it shows up again at the faucets. I'll certainly check on the ph

IIRC, acid water causes lead to leach, which is why you are not supposed to put wine into lead-crystal decanters.
Just out of curiosity, are you using the same lead test at the filter as you are using at the sink? If not, you should check before the filter and after the filter to see if the filter is doing its job.
Otherwise, you have to figure out what changed since your last lead- free reading.
Finally, you should probably check for lead at each and every faucet. If the are all the same, that means one thing. If its only one faucet, that means something else completely.
Also make sure your equipment isn't contaminated. See if there's any lead-paint dust, etc. on it. It's probably a good idea to order different testing materials, too, to see if that's causing a false- positive. Also test something you know is lead-free like distilled water from the store.
I think what you describe is exactly what is being done. They are currently waiting on the third, independent set of tests, to verify the first two

How recently have you checked the water just before and just after the filter????

How recently have you checked the water just before and just after the filter????
I believe these tests were done in the past few weeks