What causes water in pipes?

I noticed that within the past month or so I have a lot of air when I turn on the hot water. As the water gets warmer the air gets worse.

Since it's only the hot water I assume it's a problem in my house, but just to be sure I checked with my neighbors and the do not have any problems. We have town water.

What could be causing this? The air comes out in strong bursts sometimes and it makes the pipes vibrate.

thanks.

Reply to
googlemail2003

First make sure this is an "air" problem and not a "steam" problem. I have seen this be caused by a stuck thermostat on the water heater and the water was actually boiling. Its a miracle the water heater didnt blow up given it had no saftey vavle.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Sounds like something is overheating, if not a defective/sticking thermostat could it be a defective (broken) heating element in electric hot water tank leaking and thereby heating the water excessively? Also, the thermostats only control one 'side' of the 230 volts to an electric hot water heating element! So current could flow through the other side of the 230, flow through the defective element (or part of it) into the grounded water in the tank and heat the water. Time to investigate carefully! Not a problem for someone who knows what they are doing (not necessarily an electrician) but who is competent electrically. Potentially could be expensive use of electricity. probably not that dangerous (provided the tank and piping is properly grounded!) for few hours but should be fixed asap.

Reply to
stan

We had this happen after I installed a new sacrifical anode rod in the water heater. It was a puff of hydrogen gas out of the faucet when the hot water was first turned on. Turns out they sold me the wrong rod for my water heater. After putting in the right rod, the problem went away but the water heater died fairly quickly after. Replaced it with a non metal water heater that doesn't have/need a sacrifical anode and have not had any further trouble.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Kuechle

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k26g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

You used water faucets for indoor compressed air line termination. The water is a byproduct of compressing air. In high humidity you'll have more water.

Tell me, when you flush is it like one of those French blowup toilets I hear about?

Reply to
Red Green