Lawnmower Squeals

Page 1 of 2

My Briggs and Stratton 3.5 HP lawnmower squeals when I pull the cord and start it. It will run fine for about 10 seconds until the engine ramps up and there is a loud squeal coming from the part that rotates when you pull the cord (Carburetor?) on the top of the engine. It almost sounds like it is seizing up. Any clue what is causing this?
If it sounds like it is siezing up it probbaly is. Have you checked or changed the oil?
Also, the "thing on the top" is probably your pullcord and clutch assembly. I dont think the overrunning clutch in there would squeal though.
Most likely you have a rid bearing that is going/gone.
I have seen this a lot in older B&S motors. Its a cheap part and is easy to replace if you know how.
Josh
Brian wrote:

meant ROD bearing not rid bearing.....my bad
perhaps your overruning clutch could be dried out. A simpler thing to do before replacing the rod bearing is to take your top cover off ( there should be a few 1/2 or 9/16 bolts holding it on. Once you lift that up (if your motor is like the one i am thinking) you should see a square oist sticking straight up. in the top of that should be a little plug with a tiny hole in it. You can pull that plug and try putting a few drops of oil in there and see if that helps. Sometimes those do get a little dry and make a little noisem but squealing after it "ramps up" makes it sound like it is out of oil or a bad bearing IMHO.
Let me know
Josh
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Sorry for my ignorance, but should I use regular 10W-30 oil or is there some sort of lawnmower oil I can get from Ace Hardware or Lowe's?
Yep any regular motor oil will do just fine.
Brian wrote:

The Briggs book calls for straight weight HD30 for most climates. But 10W-30 works fine. Please use a good brand, my fav is Castrol. Other folks like Pennzoil, Mobil, Quaker State, etc.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Yes, it is the starter overrunning clutch. I have had that happen a couple times but haven't really tryed to oil one. For sure it is not a rod bearing. That would knock, not squeal.
Harry K

Yeah i was thinking that after i posted...if the rod bearing was spun and on top of the bottom one (in the cap) it might squeal a little...but i am lening twoards the clutch..oiling them sometimes works sometimes doeasnt....luckily they are easy to replace if need be.
josh
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I'm going to take it apart tonight after work. Lawnmower place charges $20 to look at it, but the $20 goes towards the repair.

Does jerking on the rope, or banging your hand on the top of the engine, (only if moving pars are not exposed there.) stop or change the noise? That would suggest the starter mechanism needs lubrication.
Bob

In your case, it is $20 well spent. I don't mean to sound nasty, but if you don't know where the carburetor is, do you think you can re-assemble the clutch and spring mechanism properly and really save that 20 bucks?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

You're probably right. If it's not a task that is not very straight-forward then I shouldn't attempt it.
wrote in message

you
But how will you learn then?
http://www.eio.com/repairfaq/REPAIR/F_sambook.html http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lmfaq.htm
Bob
Dear Ed, Fortunately he doesn't have to reassemble the spring part of the mechanism. I wondered the same thing, him not kowing what a carb is.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Lawnmower guys says it sounds like the starter and the flywheel binding up. He says there is no clutch on this lawnmower.
which seems odd, because if this is a pull start there has got to be something that allows the crank to overrun the pull-cord assembly.
if there isnt one of those then this must not be one of the standard B&S motors I have worked on...I am having a hard time understanding how a pullstart motor would work without a clutch on the pull cord....
Josh
Brian wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If it helps, it is a MTD model with a B&S engine. I'll post what is wrong with it hopefully tomorrow when I get it back. The repair didn't seem too straightforward so I decided to take it to the Pros.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Same here. I suspect the motor mech is hung up on a terminology thing or is splitting hairs. Of course there is the possibility that he figures he can get away with it since Brian isn't up on small engines. That engine, if a pull start, does have an overrunning clutch.
Harry K

Harry K wrote:

Yea, I'm not up to snuff on small engines. From a link that Bob posted above, I gleaned this from the section regarding squeals:
"A screeching or squealing sound may be the result of worn bearings or inadequate lubrication. This could be due to lack of oil (!!) or a problem with the oil distribution system (pump, passages, slinger, etc.). It could also be a problem with auxiliary mechanical parts - power take-off, front wheel drive, or a starter clutch that fails to disengage."
This suggest to me that there is a clutch, or at least starter clutch.
I also charge $20 for advice.... (wink wink)
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.