Lawnmower Squeals

But how will you learn then?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Same here. I suspect the motor mech is hung up on a terminology thing or is splitting hairs. Of course there is the possibility that he figures he can get away with it since Brian isn't up on small engines. That engine, if a pull start, does have an overrunning clutch.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yea, I'm not up to snuff on small engines. From a link that Bob posted above, I gleaned this from the section regarding squeals:

"A screeching or squealing sound may be the result of worn bearings or inadequate lubrication. This could be due to lack of oil (!!) or a problem with the oil distribution system (pump, passages, slinger, etc.). It could also be a problem with auxiliary mechanical parts - power take-off, front wheel drive, or a starter clutch that fails to disengage."

This suggest to me that there is a clutch, or at least starter clutch.

Reply to
Brian

Brian

What did you find out about your mower...

Just curious

Josh

Reply to
joshers17

Lawnmower guy is looking at it today. Apparently my puny lawnmower was not a priority :)

Reply to
Brian

Let us know when you do find out, we all want to know.

'As for priorities when dealing with 'lawn mower guys' You will find that his regular customers always get priority. I like to schedule anything I need to take in for times when his business is slow. Spring is a bad time. Late summer isn't bad, Winter is bad if you are in snow country. I drop the item(s) off and tell him to get to it when he can and I won't need it until .... (weeks or months down the road). He appreciates that and then when I do have a problem I need 'right now' he tends to give me preference.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I live in Florida. There is no "snow time" :) I'm not sweating it. It hasn't rained much so the grass doesn't really need mowing for a couple weeks at least.

Reply to
Brian

I just fixed my mower with this problem. I took off the top engine cover, squirted a little oil into the top of the starter clutch through the little hole in the center, put a couple of drops around the seal at the bottom of that same part, and re-assembled it. Problem solved.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Ok. I just got the lawnmower back today. It seems the starter assembly was rusted. They put some white lithium grease on it and it is back to normal. I have a feeling this is going to be a normal thing for this mower.

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Brian