Lawn tractor charging light

I have a JD 172 lawn tractor. After starting it up the battery light stays on. I tried a new battery , but it still stays on. Is there an easy why to track down the problem? Thanks Mike
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Three things, battery, charger which is alternator(old days it was generator) and regulator(could be integral to alternator. Have a multi-meter? See what the charging voltage is first. Checking the battery with hydrometer is good too. Tony