Latex Paint - is it toxic waste?

Page 2 of 2
why not just leave the lid off for a while?

and
discard
USA.

Our county, has you drop of the paint at the recycle center, combines the leftovers into a couple of neutral shades and then offers the reconstituted stuff to residents at no cost.
Good for painting things where you don't need a color match: outbuildings, treehouses etc.
Charlie
Open the cans, mix paint with kitty litter and let dry. No longer toxic.
--
Nothing Remains the Same-SLQ
"noway" < snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
noway wrote:

Our city has a website for solid waste disposal info. They say to pour latex paint into trash bag with some crumpled newspaper, let it dry and put in the trash (ours is all incinerated).
Your town may have a drop off for used chemicals, but the dry-and-dispose method seems reasonable.
It is not toxic, especially when dry. The local garbage collection service here (Boise) sponsors a toxic waste collection every 6 months in cooperation with the state department of environmental quality. They say to just open the can and let the paint dry, then toss in the regular garbage.
noway wrote:

My garbage company wants the paint thuroghly solidified. THe kitty litter trick is new to me. I usually just open the can and let it sit in the garage for year. You can also go to the paint store and buy a little packet of something that instantly hardens the paint (compared to letting it sit). My garage walls also have about 10 coats of paint on them.

the

If the paint is still usable (has not froze or hardened), donate it to one of the charities like St. Vincent De Paul, Goodwill, etc. Someone can still use it for a small room or shed. There might even be some kid in your neighborhood who is building a tree house and would love a coat of paint. Always try to recycle stuff, and what is garbage to you is a treasure to someone else. (assuming it's still useable).

the
The hazardous waist collection depots in this area used to advise people to just leave the cans open until the paint completely hardened and then they could be disposed of without toxic consequences in landfills or incinerating plants. Not so however with oil based paints which had to be brought to their depots.
noway wrote:

It's only "toxic" to Tree Huggers who feel the need to run your life. If the can is closed when you throw it out, there is no potential harm to domestic pets (why ae they roaming your streets in the first place?) or "neighborhood children" (why are they picking through your trash??) and the first potential "harm" is when the can rusts open years from now in your trash dump. So, you poison a couple of garbage rats. Big deal!

The other objection to this often comes from your municipality. Most make a blanket list of what you can't throw in the weekly trash, outlawing "building materials". They do this to keep folks who would abuse it from loading the trash with lumber, glass, pipe, etc. every week. Unfortunately, they often will consider your paint cans as part of that mix. Sooo...do them one at a time, stick it right in the middle of your regular trash so it doesn't stick out, and you should be fine.