Lap over asbestos siding?????

We have an old house we are working on and it needs to be re-sided with lap siding. If we nail the siding over the brittle asbestos will it just shatter under the layer we are installing? If so, is that okay?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

R.

Reply to
Rex

This is Turtle.

Look closely for some of this old siding looks like asbestos but really is another type of material.

I'm not a siding fellow at all but asbestos is one of the best insulation that was ever made. You may try to see if you can keep most of it up there if you can. One thing that will help not bust the siding is to use dull or not sharp nails to use.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Drill Drill Drill.... Have lots of bits on hand too.

However, before you replace it. Asbestos siding will last a lifetime (or two). The new vinyl stuff will last 10 years, maybe a few more. Wood siding will last a little longer, but that too is limited. Do you really want to re-side? A coat of paint does wonders for asbestos siding, and holds up much better than on wood. Use quality paint!

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

I agree with Mark on this one. There are homes from the early 1900's around here and the siding is in excellant shape. In fact I think the siding is the only thing holding them up. Maybe a low to medium pressure steam cleaning with an anti- mold additive, if mold algae etc is a prob, is all you need. That might be a good idea if you are going to paint anyway. If you just gotta cover it follow Turtles advice about the nails, as dull as possible. No diamond points etc. and try to get the nail to penetrate the the asbestos in several short blows Not just one mighty whap. No airnailers, to sharp and too much of a sudden shock especially if there is a void behind shingle. You might find some cut nails ( expensive) or blunt the wire nail tips with a hammer before driving (time consuming) so they punch their way thru instead of wedging thru. And time consuming to hold the new siding in place and drill pilot holes. You'll wear out a lot of twist bits getting them thru the asbestos cement shingles or wear your arms out forcing carbide bits thru wood. Cean it, paint it with mold algae fungal inhibitor. yum yum toungy here and here and here and maybe even there

Reply to
lurking licker