Landscape lighting wattage question

I have a two story house that I want to add outdoor lighting to. Can someone recommend what is appropriate lighting for the exterior of the house? I presume flood lights are in order, but I don't understand what wattage I should be looking for. I've seen flood lights at 10W,

20W and 50W, but I just don't know what's the best to use. Thanks in advance.
Reply to
Geo

Isn't this kind of a personal preference? Buy some bulbs and see what /you/ like.

Reply to
Meat Plow

What sort of outdoor lighting? Is this decorative, as in around a patio or along a garden walk? Do you want a security light at your doors, perhaps on a motion sensor? Do you want to light an area? Floodlights are really only useful in the latter case. Small floods can be used for security lighting, but IMNSHO are a bit of overkill.

As a general rule of thumb, the more watts a light is rated at, the more light it will cast. It will also draw more current and I'm 99.9% certain the electrical code will require exterior lights to be on their own circuit(s).

As a sidebar comment, have a look around at your favourite home hardware/plumbing/electrical store; they usually have a simplified version of the electrical code, written in layman's language. Well worth adding to your DIY library.

Yours aye, W. Underhill

Reply to
William Underhill

buy a portable clamp worklight or two with a reflector. try it outdoors with various bulbs including yellow bug lamps in various spots around the home. variables may include time of day, street lights nearby, moon, billboard lighting, neighboring yard or parking lot lights. try the lights at ground level, then from first floor windows, then second floor windows. then there are some color choices, like cool white versus warm white in fluorescents, and expensive spotlight versus floodlight patterns, and softer yellow bug lights with short life versus high pressure sodium fixtures.

Reply to
buffalobill