landlord responsibility

I just moved in to my double wide over a month ago and I let the landlord know there were some things that needed repair and there was a severe roach infestation. She said that she would pay for the exterminator which we paid for and the $ 300 worth in receipts of different bug remedies. This was a verbal agreement and I know now that it should have been written. Then we noticed that there were electrical problems also. Everytime we turned on our closet light the tv and computer would go off then come back on. The last time it happened my gfci power strip that I had my computer equipment plugged into went dead and I had to reset it. Good thing I had this or it would have most certainly been fried. Some of the outlets and light switches have no plates on them. My ceiling fan is hanging only by the wires. My ac is rigged also, you have to turn it on at the t box then go to the circuit box and turn on the breaker. Still havent got it fixed, then last week I turned it as usual and the breaker arced and threw the main power breaker off. I complained about and she sent out a friend of hers who was an electrician. The only reason she did this was I had someone give her a little push. He replaced the breaker and said he would have to tear down the wall to repair the short circuit but she said no it would cost to much money. Still did not get it done right. Still havent seen the ac man she said was coming out to fix it. I went to go pay my rent and she said she wasnt paying to do anything else. We told her quite simply that if something happened due to her neglect of responsibility then we would sue her. She got mad, said we threatened her and wanted us to get out by next week. My ex came out to look at the issues and he said it all was a fire hazard: we have a

100 amp box and we are pulling more than that, no smoke detectors, no filter in the ac return causing excessive buildup of dust around the wires, no plates on outlets, etc. Among other things are one of the windlows doesnt lock, kitchen faucet leaks, wood under kit sink is rotted, toilet chain is broken,deck is rotted, no stair rails or anything around deck (there are four stairs), back deck is unusable because stairs are collapsed and wood is rotted, theres rotten wood on the bottom of the front door (from inside the house you can see outside). We are going to move but she wants to keep our deposit, we have not broken any rules and have always paid our rent. She said are costing her too much money already and SHE wants us to move. How do I go about getting this place inspected, there are numerous violations. I went to the fire dept and building & zoning and they told me I had to hire a home inspector which I dont have the money for that. One of her other properties had caught fire and the fire inspector had come out and told her he was going to check all her other units for fires hazards and never did. I am more than ready to move but when I get my dispossesory warrant I will respond for a courtdate. I need someone to document these violations so I can show the judge in court we only wanted her to take care of these repairs not kick us out because we cost her money then keep our deposit. Got any advice, this woman cant possibly be allowed to get away with this. Other tenants have had problems and she said if you dont like it move. Of course no one ever fought her because there were damages caused by these tenants.
Reply to
jen2006
  1. This sounds like a troll. Nobody says they moved into their "double wide". So if you're a troll, screw you.

  1. Every local has a building code governance body that is there exactly for the purpose of reporting such conditions. Find out who it is and report the landlord. This again is why I think you're a troll, they don't tell you to get an inspector - THEY do the inspection to make sure your place doesn't burn down with you in it.

  2. The landlord cannot supply substandard and unsafe housing. This is illegal. So if you're not a troll and the code compliance people are retards, contact your local legal services organization. If you provide your zip code I'll look it up for you.
Reply to
roger61611

No i am not a troll and yes those people are complete idiots. I was told that it was a civil matter between my landlord and I. I have never had something like this happen before with any other landlord. The reason why I referred to my home as doublewide is because everyone else I talked to about this problem asked me if I lived in a house or a mobile home, as if to insinuate mobile homes electrical problems were usually a issue. Trust me I know from past experience how fast a mobile home can burn down. I have four kids and ill be damned if I stay here and take that risk. My zipcode is 30014

Reply to
jen2006

The only advice the fire dept gave me was to go to building & zoning, but then again I talked to one person and trusted his advice would get me somewhere. Building & zoning told me to hire a home inspector then told me her advice was to move, duh really? I want to report this woman for this negligence and show her that she ill not get the better of me. Either way Ill be better off moving out of here

Reply to
jen2006

The only advice the fire dept gave me was to go to building & zoning, but then again I talked to one person and trusted his advice would get me somewhere. Building & zoning told me to hire a home inspector then told me her advice was to move, duh really? I want to report this woman for this negligence and show her that she ill not get the better of me. Either way Ill be better off moving out of here

Reply to
jen2006

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1151979031.277288.307270 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Many of the things you mention were visable when you looked the place over right? Why did you take it?

If you are not a troll then:

neglect of responsibility then we would sue her.

Send her a certified letter with return receipt to document her notification in writing.

Take pics of the stuff you spoke of.

If you are going to move anyway, stay & no pay until you use up the deposit and any $ you put into it. She would have to formally evict you. She'll have to part with many nickels for that. And by the time it goes through you'll be gone anyway.

Keep roaches, make stew and give her a peace offering. If you have a cat, toss in some of doze lil kitty "sausages".

Reply to
Al Bundy

Al Bundy wrote:

We took this one because we lived in one of her other units for a week and it was far worse. When we first came out to look into getting a place she said she had several units but that particular one was the best. The best? maybe to to a street bum. The other units would have taken a while to fix up. The park amnager was currently living in the unit so we didnt get to see the inside. BIG MISTAKE. We went ahead and paid the deposit so she would hold it. We didnt see everything that was wrong with it at first. we didnt know about the electrical problems until after we moved in. We didnt have much time to look due to certain circumstances and there were slim pickings in this county. Of course after we moved there were places for rent everywhere, go figure thats my luck right. everything that we did see was supposed to have been fixed weeks ago. The maintenence man did come in and fix a few minor things but when it came to electrical, he wasnt very knowledgable. The maintenence man is more than willing to do the job but the landlord has him fixing vacant properties so she can herd more people in. Never mind the fact weve been here for over a month shes not too worried about correcting these problems. She said she was not going to let him do the work yet because at that time we had agreed that we wouldnt pay rent for two weeks so what we spent for bug remedies would be reimbursed. I have already written a letter and have to send it and have already took pictures.

Reply to
jen2006

Al Bundy wrote:

[...]

Good enough for you to take...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

True, but like the joke goes with the bird and the cat : A bird is freezing to death and gets shit on, the shit warms him up. A cat comes along and gets the bird out of the shit then eats it. The moral of the story is: If someone s**ts on you it doesnt mean they are not your friend and if someone gets you out of shit it doesnt mean they are your friend. I would rather get shit on than be eaten

Reply to
jen2006

You're being eaten AND shit on. Pity you don't see it.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

What I mean is I would rather be shit on and live to see the next day than to be eaten (you know get burned up in a fire) AND be dead

Reply to
jen2006

Well, it's apparent you'd rather be shit on. Pity.

I lived in a shit hole once for a few months, when I was 18 and a starving student going to college. I swore I'd never do it again, and nearly 30 years later... I haven't.

You get to make your own choices...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I may be shit on but at least Im alive, trust me I dont like getting shit on but she will get hers. If I wanted to continue being shit on I would stay, but I choose to leave. See she thinks shes got the upperhand on me because she figures I wouldnt fight her in court due to a hole my son put in the wall that would have entitled her to the deposit. I had it repaired yesterday so she has nothing to withhold my deposit for.

Reply to
jen2006

Did I read from you that you took your unit without actually seeing it? Would you call someone up after looking through the paper and buy a used car without seeing or driving it? No rational, intelligent person would do either of these things.

You may have money problems, lack of education problems, and perhaps other problems, but there is really no excuse for blatant stupidity.

Your description of your dwelling sounds like a "hell hole". If I were you, my number one concern would be getting my family into decent housing and screw the revenge on the landlord drama. It's sounds like you have more than enough grounds to break the lease.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Local regulations vary. You need to contact a local attorney.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Troll, if you have to go out to turn on the ac, how do you turn it off. The computer turns itself off then On.

Reply to
m Ransley

As others have pointed out, in every municipality that I am aware of, they have officials on staff who's job it is to enforce the local ordinances. If it's a health issue, like insects, vermin, leaking sewage, call the health dept. If it's a fire hazhard, call the fire safety official, or contact the local fire dept. If it's a building code violation, like rotted unsafe deck, electrical, etc, there should be a municipal code enforcement dept. If not, talk to the building inspector.

In addition, I would inquire with the municipality as to what is required before a tenant moves into rental housing. Here in NJ, most places the landlord needs to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy, just as they would for a sale. This entails the code folks coming out and doing a walk-through inspection to make sure the place is up to code and inhabitable.

Having said that, I also agree with the advice to just move, possibly using up your security deposit by not paying rent till you leave. She can't get you evicted that fast. If you decide you need to move with her still holding your money, then document everything. Take lots of pics. A video is even better. Make sure a friend or two that can be witnesses see everything. Try to get something from her in writing that says she told you to move. If that can't be done, send her a letter 2 ways, regular mail and certified so she has to sign for it. In the letter just summarize that you understand you must leave because she told you that you had to, when you will be out, that you expect you full security deposit returned because she told you that you have to leave, etc.

Then after you leave, sue her in small claims court for any money she withholds.

Reply to
trader4

for OP: document and photograph everything.Get everyone involved full name.Most especially document and photo any hazards, such as electrical.Then move...get your family somewhere safe. Document and photo any damage you did and how you repaired it. After you have a new place,you have the option of an attorney..or small claims court.

For everyone else: Sometimes your only 2 options are temporary shelter in a bad place..or living on the street. If you have never been forced into that choice,you are truly blessed and need to say a prayer of thanks...right now. Most people like to think they are "set up"...but are not as far from the street as they believe. An illness or some other unforeseen occurrence can leave most of us destitute and homeless( or living with relatives) in 6 months or less. Count your blessings.

Reply to
digitalmaster

Since when do computers go back On after going off, they dont, troll.

Reply to
m Ransley