Laminate flooring In Bathroom?

Hi...just a short question.

I am now a seasoned pro at laying Laminent flooring (hardwood flooring clone). I can make it look like a pro installed it now after doing a few bedrooms........

Question I have ...is it any good for bathrooms?... I mean...it IS a fiberboard underneath so under wet conditions like crawling out of a shower wet dripping on the floor.....condensation of showering etc... any Comments??? What would one use for a baseboard beside the tub....straight silicone?

Thank you....Jim

Reply to
Jim M

Personally, I detest the stuff- looks like a big kitchen counter to me, especially the faux woodgrain entry-level stuff. But taste questions aside, IMHO, the stuff is marginal for kitchen use, and totally out of the question for bathroom use, for the very reasons you mentioned. There is a reason people went to ceramic and vinyl for those areas. Even fully-urethaned wood, once it gets some wear, usually shows water damage, eventually. Fiberboard base is basically a sponge. One little crack in a seam....

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Reply to
twfsa

What are you going to do when the shiter overflows?

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

We put laminate in my parents kitchen and 2 baths. Used Mannington and checked with them first. The edges of the snap together stuff is very water resistent according to Mannington and as long as the perimeter is sealed with silicone caulking per their instructions it works well. So far it has been good and my parents are old and I am sure they get the floor quite wet after a shower. Mannington guarantees the stuff for water resistence except for major flooding where insurance would normally apply. COmpare warranties.... their's seems one of the best. Others say any water must be wiped up within an hour for the warranty to apply.

Reply to
Art