Laminate Flooring - estimating required sq ft

Measuring the rooms for square feet is easy enough. What rule of thumb applies for how much extra to purchase to allow for offset seams and waste?
Jim, 2/18/2006,10:02:39 AM, wrote:

I've been told 10% extra, but I didn't go that much over. Buy 10% more and take back the unopened boxes.

Sounds about right to me. I got away with less than 5% waste but it will vary depending on room size, hall width, etc.
On 2/18/06 10:02 AM, in article NDKJf.1659$ snipped-for-privacy@fe09.lga, "Jim"

The box I got says %15 -%20.. I think I went with 15 and ended up with 2 full boxes leftover (no errors, minimal waste)
20% is probably best and DONT RETURN ANY EXTRA!
Keep a couple boxes for repairs when needed. You might not be able to get matching material later.
Dont forget to co mingle boxes as you go for a uniform look, including co mingling extra material.
having extra will be a sales feature when you sell your home

Mathematically, half the length of the perimeter, including any islands and posts. From a practical standpoint, add half a box to that, and round up.