Laminate flooring accessories are too expensive

While it is possible to find inexpensive laminate at Costco, IKEA, etc, the accessories such as the Base Board (sometimes called Wall Base) and

3-in-1 underlayment seem to be unproportionally expensive. For example, Harmonics laminate for my whole house would cost me less that the Base Board and 3-in-1 underlayment for the 2nd floor alone. I assume laminate $1.30/sqft, Base Board $2.50/ft, and 3-in-1 $0.65/sqft.

Painted Base Boards are, of course, cheaper, but they don't look good either.

Is there a reputable online source where I could buy Base Board and

3-in-1 underlayment at reasonable price ?
Reply to
Ikon

The trim pieces are more expensive to make than the high volume flooring, but that is a big profit for them also. I used some trim to match, but I used my stained baseboards. Done right, they look just fine and much cheaper.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

We put down Pergo in our kitchen and used all Pergo trim. The trim is very expensive, looks nice, but is not very good. The biggest problem is that all of the seams will eventually show. The expansion/contraction rate on the trim isn't even remotely close to that of the wall and floor. If you install in the summer, there will be 1/8 -1/4 inch inch gaps come winter. The contractor came out three times to try to fix it. It got somewhat better, but not nearly good enough. We love the floor, but if I had it to do over again, I'd go with wood trim and paint it.

Reply to
Alan

The prices I quoted are for the cheapest laminate trim 3" x 1/2" I could find. The brand trim was even more expensive.

Reply to
Ikon

For the most part, there is no need to stick with their underlayment materials, unless it is required for the warrantee. There is no requirement to use the same brand trim. I buy unfinished generic trim and finish it to match.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

I agree. I use oak if staining, and poplar or MDF if the trim will be painted.

Reply to
Doc

I have not installed it yet, just bought it. But I heard that it is good for the money. They have this kind of deep locks, while other cheap laminates usually have pretty shallow locks (but it also means that you sometimes have to knock it into place with a special hammer block).

You can order accessories for it (moldings, base board) over the phone from Harmonics, with exact color match. Their base board is expensive, but moldings are reasonable.

Reply to
Ikon

Hi Ikon,

I am thinking about replacing my carpet with Costco's Laminate floor that is having $5.00 rebate per carton right now. How do you like it? Or should I go with real hardwood floor?

Reply to
pkmicro

There is nothing that will look better than a real hardwood floor. If you have that option, go for it. Laminate is OK for areas, like concrete slab, that cannot have real wood. Engineered wood is better in appearance than laminate if you have that choice. Why settle for third best?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you have kids, pets, or a home that's not treated as a museum then (the right) laminate can be a great choice. Besides the fact that "looks better" is totally subjective.

I also don't think much of the "typical" laminate seen in the box stores, but there is product out there that is much better looking and much of it has only been available in the last couple years.

We recently did our main room in Wilsonart Red Label (english walnut) and we have had to tell most of the people who have seen it for the first time that it wasn't actually wood. I'm sure someone "in the trades" would recognize it instantly, but that doesn't change the fact that is does look great.

One of the reasons I like the laminates is that they are offering some variety over the one or two styles you typically see in real wood. I mean who needs to see more red oak in 2 inch planks? And yes I know that's a generalization and that other woods are available, but not so much as with laminates and typically only at much higher prices.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

I've installed about 1,000sf of the Costco laminate and it worked out well. I'm now in the process of installing another 600sf in another house. Those are for rental units - Laminates are cheap (for the DIYs) and tough. Wood flooring is good too and has more warmth (feel and sound different too) to it and your could renew it with a floor sander later on but its not as tough (hard) as laminate. On still another house I'm replacing a 50 year old oak flooring with laminate. Repairing a piece of laminate in the middle of the room would be a pain in the ass but I'm not at that stage yet. On my own house I'll go with hardwood or bamboo in the major rooms just for the warmth and we're nowhere as hard on the flooring as the tenants.

The $5 rebate is pretty good. You could get cheaper laminates at Sam's Club or

but some of it are just junk - Costco's is warranted for 25 years.

Reply to
Kim

I've had kids, dog, and tghe house is certainly not a museum. l But it is cared for, clean, and floors are in great shape. A coat of poly every few years is all it needs, unless you have a herd of cattle or kids that behave like them.

So you only shop at Home Depot? There are many varieties of wood and finishes available. Try this for starters:

Edwin Pawlowski

I have a rental unit with a parquet wood floor that needs refinishing. Would you suggest refinishing that or replacing it with the Costco/SamsClub laminate?

Reply to
Blue

Why bamboo?

Reply to
me

I saw a box of Underlayment & Base Board at Sam's Club cost $20.00 compare to Costco cost $29.00.

Reply to
pkmicro

Its your call. My reason was labor rate in San Francisco for refinish and repair was much higher than the material for laminate and repair if I do it myself. I did see a refinished parquet floor and it didn't look too good because of too many nail holes and wood seperation. Too bad because everything in that remodel job was very high end.

Reply to
Kim

Wife is a bamboo freak - she grows that stuff all over the backyard (all in planters). Besides bamboo flooring is harder than most hardwood flooring and it is very stable and has a different look.

Reply to
Kim

The underlayment at Sam's Club is junk just like the old Costco stuff before they switch. Its lower density, tears easier and doesn't have a vapor shield. With that said I did install the junk stuff (to maintain the warranty of the laminate) and seems ok and the room I was in didn't need the vapor barrier.

Reply to
Kim