KitchenAid Refrigerator Icemaker problem

We have a KitchenAid Superba fridge that we got last August. Has been working well since then. It has an on-the-door ice maker. Yesterday, we took the ice bin off the door to fill a cooler. The ice maker dumped one more load of ice and hasn't made any more.

I noticed it today when I went to get ice. I have removed and replaced the ice bin, seems okay. I turned the ice maker off and on again via the blue slider switch. I checked the water dispenser, and it works, so I think the ice maker is getting water. Nothing is blocking the flap that tells the ice maker that the freezer door is closed. The ice dispenser door is not stuck open, and I can hear the spiral thang that stirs the ice moving when I press the dispenser lever.

It's a hot Sunday here in the Northeast, a bad day to have no ice. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

BC overheated

Reply to
BCDrums

What shuts off the ice maker when the bin gets full? Look there for your problem/solution. And don't forget that it takes almost a week to fill your ice bin.

Reply to
JimL

It seems to me that everyone I know has problems with their ice makers, except me. I don't have one because it's just too easy to fill four ice trays and dump them into a bowl in the freezer. :-) Sorry, I'm no help.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Probably the photo cell or microswitch that determines the bin is full, is not activated because the bin is not seated in its mount correctly. It thinks the bin is full and shut down the icemaker.

Reply to
EXT

I have checked this by eye, and the path appears to be unobstructed. There is a red light next to the photo eye (I think it's the photo eye) and the light blinks when the door is open. Is that a clue?

BC

Reply to
BCDrums

A WEEK????

BC

Reply to
BCDrums

My previous fridge and ice maker went fifteen years without a problem. I know people have problems with ice makers, but I used to do the ice tray dance, and believe me, I have saved MONTHS of time by having that little chore eliminated.

Stay cool! BC

Reply to
BCDrums

I love my automatic ice maker more than I love my wife.

Mine is 5 1/2 years old -( icemaker, not the wife) and requires a lot of maintenance. 1. Filled the tray with vinegar when the ice started sticking to the tray. It removed the scale build up and the tray dumps correctly.

  1. For a treat, once every few months I buy bagged ice and dump it into the ice bin.
  2. Every 3 months or so, I 'lift the bail' and stop the ice making process for a week so that I use up all the ice in the bin, and then I have new fresh ice. That prevents any old 'bad tasting' ice from making it into my ice tea. This works great with tip 2.
Reply to
JimL

I see you don't have kids.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Last August? This is still July. Warranty should be one year.

Call your dealer or: call Customer Service at 1-800-422-1230

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have KA bottom mount fridge and the icemaker works flawlessly. In our last house, we had a Sub Zero fridge and its ice maker worked fine too.

Reply to
Rudy

My kids are grown now, and I have many grandchildren, but the making my own ice worked fine when they were all home too, and it still does. When I have a big party, I buy ice. :-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

I've never had a day when the "icemaker" didn't work around here. Also the "icemaker" cleans the whole house, and cooks meals daily. Bet yours doesn't. ;-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

what a convenient thread................... yesterday, we changed the PUR (kenmore) water filter on our (one year old) whirlpool refrig and since then no ice! we don't hear water running to the ice cube maker at all. we DO get water out of the door though.

Reply to
readandpostrosie

Whatever works for you. My kids never filled the trays and we were often out of ice. bought a new fridge with icemaker and I'll never go without now.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As the original poster on Sunday, I have to report that by Monday morning, my ice bin was full. I have no idea what was wrong (if anything), but we have ice now for the heat wave.

Be sure to keep plenty of chardonnay on ice in case of emergency.

Thanks for all the replies (even Cheri's).

BC

Reply to
BCDrums