Kitchen stove (oven) runs hot

OK, I'm not smart on home repair........ My oven in the kitchen stove runs around 200 degrees hotter than the knob setting. Would the most likely culprit be the oven sensor -- the 2-3 foot wire thermocouple? in the oven -- or could it be something else more likely? If so, is this easy to replace, to find in a Home Depot, etc? Please help. Thanks.

Reply to
Lonestar

If it's consistent and always reads 200 higher than the setting at all temps, just under-set your dialed cooking temp by 200-- or paint a little mark a half inch to the left of the one the oven maker put on there....

Reply to
The Wheel Man

The most likely culprit would be the knob.

Remove the knob, and look at the back. You'll find an adjustment there so it matches the actual temperature.

Reply to
SteveBell

Wow, that is much more than normal. The manual may give instructions on how to change the calibration of the knob.

When it comes to appliance repair, avoid Home Depot and the like. You may find the right help at

or

Edwin Pawlowski

I had a similar problem with my oven. I use propane and the oven was set for natural gas. The 'switch" for this was behind the temperature control knob. When I changed it the oven worked properly.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Thanks for the info, Mike, but mine is strictly electric. I hope someone can guide me!!

Reply to
Lonestar

Is this new symptom and different than before? New or old range? (If new, it's defective and dealer should fix w/o charge). What brand/model?

I only know GE of pretty ancient (mid-80's) design. They do have an minor adjustment on the back of the knob that has a toothed ring that moves the face of the knob relative to the fixed position on the shaft.

Each tooth is approximately 10F change but there aren't 20 teeth to get anything close to 200F difference iirc (I can't think when I last had one off to look at).

I would presume most other brands are roughly equivalent.

I'd also wonder how you're making this determination--are you sure your reference is correct?

If it is off by this much, it's almost certainly the thermocouple/thermostat is defective and should be replaced.

--

Reply to
dpb

I do not know what type of Owen you have and if you tell us it would be hard to say what you need, however many years ago as much I know they did not have switch over but the way change was made, it was by changing mixture propane requires much more of air mixture then natural gas. there was two types one where you would adjust air intake and the other where the nozzle it self was adjustable some time one adjustment was enough and some needed both adjustment regardless which you adjust you are looking for moderate blue flame tony

Reply to
Old and Grunpy

She did if you would have read the message... :(

Reply to
dpb

Lonestar wrote: ...

See other response in thread. In short, if it's really that far off likely need thermostat replaced.

--

Reply to
dpb

Thanks, dpb, for the reply. I don't think my problem is with the "back of the knob" adjustment so it must be with the thermocouple. And bear with me........... FYI, I make my reference temp reading with a stable oven thermometer inside this old electric stove.

Now....... what exactly is the thermocouple/thermostat? Is it the 2-3 foot wire/sensor in the oven area which eventually connects to the oven knob that I should probably replace? Is this easy to do?

Again, as you can see, I'm not very smart in this arena, and I appreciate anything you can throw at me.

EW

Reply to
Lonestar