Kitchen Remodel

I want to remodel a kitchen that has too much cabinet space for the size the home is. It's a 2/2 (total sf 1200 or less) and has cabinets enough for a 4/2 home. Is there a good way to cut down on the amount of cabinets without making it look like that was done?

It has a galley type kitchen with cabinets on both sides with cabinets above and below. On the kitchen window side there is a run of over 18 feet of cabinets and the stove side is over 10 feet of cabinets with a bifold door closet taking up the other space. ( Heck all I need is the 10 foot side)..

This is overkill as I've never used 30% of these cabinets and on top of it I now live alone. Even obvious tips would help as I've never done a kitchen remod. And I'm not sure I won't farm it out in a cheap labor market..

Reply to
in2dadark

Lots of questions...Is there an eating area in the kitchen? Do you think that you might EVER sell the home? Quality cabinets? Do you cook? Entertain?

If there is a chance that you will sell, I would hesitate to take out the cabinets because they are such a high value item that would be hard to match if a buyer wanted more cabinet space. I'm sure you've thought of all of that :o) Can you move some of the wall cabinets to garage or even a bedroom/den/office? Put counter space and drawers to use for computer/desk would be one plan. Can I move in and bring all my kitchen stuff? :o)

Reply to
norminn

Anything can be done in residential remodeling as long as you're willing to throw some money and time at it.

What do you plan to do with the reclaimed space?

RicodJour

If you plan to stay there for a long time, do as you please. If you plan to sell in a year or two, keep the cabinets. I can assure you my wife can fill them up easily and it would be a good selling point.

Not seeing the entire layout it is difficult to say what will work. If you take out the cabinets on both sides at one end, you can put in a small eating space, especially if there is a window there making a comfy place to sip a cup of tea or coffee on a leisurely day. . Appliance layout is another factor. You don't really want everything on the same wall. Better to have a triangle between the sink, stove, and refrigerator rather than a straight line.

Stop in at a kitchen place with some dimensions and ask about a layout. If you are buying cabinets from them, they often do the layout for free or minimal cost.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Start by replacing the windows, so you get some practice.

Reply to
Lou

.....and then move on to caulking the cat?

Reply to
propman

Ask any group of women and they will say more space is always better. If you don't need to room for something else, I would not take them out.

If you ever go to sell the house, you will find out that it is usually the wife who makes the final decision on a new home and the kitchen is a large part of what they consider when making a choice.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

"in2dadark" wrote

Reducing storage space, especially in a kitchen, is always a non-seller. Just because you probably don't cook, (microwave and such excepted) doesnt mean a buyer wants to live that way.

When purchasing our house, i walked out of 3 without bothering to LOOK at any other rooms. Inadequate 'cute' kitchens. One idiot had removed the real stove, put in a trash compacter, and a microwave (situated so high it was over my head and couldnt see in it). He did it to 'sell the place'.

Ok, so not planning to sell? If you plan to leave it to kids or have it sold as part of the inheritance you want them to get, you just reduced it.

Reply to
cshenk

Use one cupboard for book storage, another for cleaning supplies, Christmas decorations or hobby. You could change a bottom cabinet to a wine cooler, trash compactor, recycle bin, etc. Lots of cabinet space will appeal to a good woman, a serious partner or potential buyer.

Reply to
Phisherman

You could and 3 or 4 of your friends. It's like a cabinet warehouse up in here..;0)

I was going to try to salvage some of the old wall cabinets to the garage. Not sure what to do with the open space. It's a galley kitchen, so there is eating at a bar on one end only. The dining area is seperate..

There are 2 boxes on either side of a kitchen window that is over the sink. I was going to reduce the 2 to one on either side and not replace the box over the fridge. Can ANYONE even reach that in any home? I doubt anyone will miss that one.. Those 2 things were my starting point of reductions..

Don't think I'll be selling ever. I live in it in seasonally and it's nice and small (except for the overkill cabinets) and taxes total 780 a year (pretty low for Florida)..!

Reply to
in2dadark

That's so obvious I don't know why I didn't think of it. ..Thanks..:0)

Reply to
in2dadark