kitchen range wiring

I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel

Reply to
SamTheCat

"SamTheCat" wrote in message news:_Y6dnWPi87J snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com... I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel

Reply to
SQLit

Install a big junction box in the cabinet under the cooktop to tap the branch circuit for the oven. I'd probably use a 50A breaker; I think anything from 40A to 60A is appropriate.

Are these gonna be hardwired, or plug-and-cord-and-socket?

I'll see if I can find anything in my code book.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

OK, this would be a 40A or 50A branch circuit, permitted by 210-23(c) to supply cooking appliances that are fastened in place. Forget what I said earlier about a 60A breaker unless you want a subpanel in your kitchen for some reason.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

My last house had a junction box in the wall fed by 6-3 wire. There were then two smaller branches coming out of this box -- one to the cooktop and one to the oven. Even if the specific exemption for the range didn't exist, you could use the tap rules as long as the equipment is hard wired and the wires are installed in a raceway. Because you'll be using #10 wire (at least) for each unit, you have plently of margin to use the 10' tap rule. You going to need a large junction box though -- I'd go with the 4 5/8 square by 2" deep minimum.

-- Mark Kent, WA

Reply to
Mark or Sue

then two smaller branches

the specific exemption for

equipment is hard wired and the

least) for each unit, you

junction box though -- I'd

The 10 foot tap rule is for _feeders_. Tap rules should be used with caution. The circuit in question is a branch circuit. However,

210.19(A)((3) Exception No.1 does permit the OP to tap a 50 amp range circuit to supply ranges, wall-mounted electric ovens, and counter-mounted electric cooking units. The tap conductors must have an ampacity of no less than 20 amps and must be _sufficient_ for the load served. The taps must be no longer than necessary to service the appliance.
Reply to
volts500

So I found 210.19 amd 210.23 and the "branch circuit rule" -- The box that I premounted (before drywall) was a 4 5/8 x 2" box -- wanted the extra room to work with the 6/3-- I was figuring on a second box mounted to the original one, now protruding from the wall and then runnning conduit (figured 3/4") to each appliance, max distance would be 5ft on each branch circuit. I have extra 6/3 and just figured I would use that to get from the junction box to the appliances -- sound about right ?

Reply to
SamTheCat

Sounds OK. The "second box" should be a 4 11/16" extension ring, not a regular box.

Reply to
volts500

Thanks ----

Reply to