kitchen floor tile question

a friend of mine just had a new kitchen installed. The contractor who did the tile work installed new tile for the floor. The job was finished, but my friend noticed the contractor, for some odd reason, installed a tile that is cracked, it looks like it was filled with grout to cover it up.. but it is clearlly cracked. shouldnt the contractor come back and replace the cracked tile he installed?

Yes, it never should have been installed that way or left there if he caused the crack. My concern would be that he will make a bigger mess taking it out.

exactly, i think my friend held some money b/c job wasnt done yet. you bring up a good point maybe the guy will make a bigger mess and create more problems..

.
if the guy refuses to fix it, then?

I've removed cracked tile with the ball head of a hammer without drilling. Just don't get carried away and start near the crack. The use a brick chisel as a scraper to clean out the grout and take down the old mortar a bit.

.
yes, he has more tile....but the other poster brings up a good point.. this guy could ruin the whole thing trying to repair

thanks the real question was not 'how to" but dealing with bad contractor and if he should fix

thanks everyone for help contractor is the tile guy
On 5/7/2011 3:13 PM, KOS wrote:

If he ruins the whole thing or even surrounding tiles, then he just keeps going replacing tiles until it is repaired to customers satisfaction.
In typed:

Read the contract: Then decide whether small claims court is too much bother for you to pursue; they depend on that. OTOH, he might come right back and correct the job.