Kitchen Faucet

Page 1 of 3
How long should one last? I'm not sure how old ours is. We bought this house almost 10 years ago. I have replaced the faucet since, perhaps 8 years ago. Not really sure. Began having problems with the faucet about 2 years after it was put in. The ring (appears decorative) around the sprayer came totally loose. Then the sprayer began sticking in the on position. Now it has gotten to the point of being severe. So much so that I am afraid to use the sprayer.
The plumber charged me $250 for the faucet plus installation. I think he ripped me off. I think it is some low end piece of crap. I will use Mr. Handyman next time if I can wait that long. Won't call him until I have a list of things to do because it does cost me $250 just to get him in the door.
But... How long should a faucet normally last?
On 4/18/2014 9:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

How long it should last is also a function of your water quality. A sediment filter greatly changed how long the inside guts lasted in mine from 6 months to over 20 years.
Stick with better brands like Delta, Moen, Kohler, and avoid cheap store brands.
The sprayer is easily replaced by any competent DIYer if you know one.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I still don't get it. Is it faucet or spray head and hose(repelacement kit available at HW stores) I had one problem with diverter valve for the spray head which was cheap plastic. I replaced it with bronze piece, no more problem since.

The whole thing is crap. The faucet started dripping almost right away. And now it also leaks at the handle. It is a single handle. I just want something better.
Julie Bove wrote:

For the time being, there is repair kit for that too. springs, o rings, etc. It will buy you good amount of time. Shut the water off, take the faucet apart repalce worn parts, done in half an hour. All you need is basic hand tools.

I would just as soon just replace the unit. I really never liked it. But thanks!

Soft water so no sediment.

In looking at online reviews, Delta isn't good. I have no clue what brand this is. I can't see a brand on it anywhere.

Yes but there are other issues and I don't know anyone who is handy.
On 4/19/2014 5:37 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

There are a zillion "how to" videos on Youtube....you even have your choice of a clean-cut professional plumber or a homeowner in a dirty t-shirt who cusses a lot. Videos often get down to brand-specific help, and it is worth the time to learn the simple stuff. If you live in a house or apartment, you need to know how to maintain stuff.
As for the sprayer hose hooking onto the shut-off valve (I think they all do that), I got a section of pvc pipe, taped (or glued? I don't remember) it against the wall with the valve inside....it sticks out far enough that the hose can't reach to loop around it. There are probably better ways of doing it, like setting a jar of sand in front of the valve. Good luck in your plumbing endeavors ;O)

Thanks!
On Saturday, April 19, 2014 2:37:57 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:

There's a brand sold only by plumbers, and apparently the parts are available only to plumbers, to make customers dependent on plumbers. So always ask any contractor for the brand and model of anything they'll install.
What Ed said about the brands. Also good are Price-Pfister and American Standard, but Price-Pfister's warranty makes you pay about $5-7 shipping for parts. Moen faucets tighten up as they age, and after 5-10 years they may become too tight for people with arthritis to operate them, but replacing the cartridge fixes this. Companies that offer lifetime warranties on their faucets tend to provide very good customer service, an exception being Glacier Bay. Avoid Glacier Bay. Also you may want to check the cost and availability of accessories, like hoses and spray nozzles, in case those are excluded from the lifetime warranty.
If you don't want corrosion, get a faucet made of stainless steel, but faucets made of brass or base metal plated with chrome or nickel are also good. Avoid plated plastic because the chrome separates from the plastic, and then the copper under the chrome corrodes. Still, even here in Phoenix, where the water is rock hard (so hard I once had to toss out an old stainless steel cooking pot because a pinhole had formed from corrosion), the plating on plastic faucets tends to hold up for at least 4-5 years.
Delta has basically 2 grades of faucets: cheaper ones that use Delrin plastic cup seals, and more expensive faucets with ceramic cartridge seals (actually ceramic coated with semi-diamond). Some people don't like the Delrin ones, but we've had few problems with them. However use only genuine Delta/Peerless replacement parts because a neighbor tried Walmart store brand Delrin seals, and they kept leaking in 6 months.
What reviews said Delta was bad? Were they valid reviews, where the author went into detail, or were they just "it sucks"/"it rocks" reviews?
Lots of YouTube videos show how to fix or install faucets, and some faucets are even designed to be installed without any tools.
On 4/20/2014 6:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

That comment surprised me as I've not seen any real problems with Delta.
I just completed a down to the walls re-do of one bathroom and now doing the second one. We chose Kohler faucets and valve, diverters, but the plumbing house recommended Delta for the hand held and rain can head. We're very happy with the performance of it all.
On Sunday, April 20, 2014 8:03:23 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have had very good luck with the delta cup type faucets, they last forever.
however the delta hand held shower heads were total trash.....

My hand held is the standard shower massage one. Can't remember the brand now but it was one of the first ones. I did manage to install it myself. Some guy told me to get the plastic one as it was easy to do. It was. I was shocked!
On 4/20/2014 9:25 PM, bob haller wrote:

The one I bought from Lowes was crap, but the one from the plumbing supply is much better quality. No comparison, but it was probably double the price, but worth it.

The contractor I hired for the toilets did tell me what he would install. Although he works for cheap, he's not reliable. Says he will show up and doesn't. Doesn't answer his phone.

Thanks!

Plated plastic is what I have now which is why I don't think it should have cost $250. Again, the $250 was only for the faucet and not the installation.

These were on Lowes and Home Depot websites. They explained in detail what the problems they had with them were.

Yes, but I don't dare try. I am disabled and it's very difficult for me to get in under the sink.

Faucets come in a range of prices and quality. You can pay a lot more than $250 on just the faucet.
Hoses and spray heads don't last as long as the faucet body and controls.
14 years and I recently replaced the stainless steel clad hose. Really a very simple job if you can screw and unscrew things. The part cost $45.
The sprayer is due for replacement soon, I get dripping out of the spray nozzles without the button being depressed. The sprayer head is simple to replace too. The part cost for that is $87.
--
Dan Espen

On 4/18/2014 9:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

Mine have lasted less than 10 years and they were all Moens. Kitchen faucet is probably most used one in the house. I had replaced a couple myself in my younger years but now with bifocals and stiff neck use a plumber and your charge seems about right.

Okay. Thanks!
| How long should one last? | Began having problems with the faucet about 2 | years after it was put in.
There are differences in faucets, but there are also differences in the people using them. If someone in the house is rough with the faucet, yanking the hose without paying attention, or treating the handle as an on/off switch, that can make a difference. (I once had a landlord whose electric appliances were all broken. Whenever he got impatient with the appliance's performance he'd break something off to "punish it". Even his Apple computer was missing much of its face. :)
Many faucets will come with a weight to attach to the middle of the hose, so that it will hang easily under the sink. Whether you have that or not, you need to arrange things so that the hose does not catch on things in the cabinet.
In general I think the quality difference is more in the model and cost these days than in the brand. HD and Lowes carry most popular brands. They seem to make deals on items of all kinds, often contracting for models that don't exist elsewhere. The brands they carry are respectable brands, but that doesn't necessarily mean the HD models are top quality. What I've noticed myself is that all of their faucets have been severely downgraded over the years. As with much other hardware, the makers try to find ways to replace metal with plastic. Only 10 years ago a typical faucet base would be chrome plated metal and the connectors would be thick copper tubing with threaded ends to fit supply hoses. Now much of the faucet is plastic with "chrome" paint. The connectors are either shockingly thin copper tube or plastic hoses. The sprayer connector itself is a chintzy plastic fitting rather than threaded brass. I don't know how that compares to stock from a plumbing supply, but a plumber should know that.
| The plumber charged me $250 for the faucet plus installation. I think he | ripped me off. I think it is some low end piece of crap. I will use Mr. | Handyman next time if I can wait that long.
$250 for a plumber to replace a faucet is cheap where I live. Undoubtedly the faucet was cheap. Did you tell the plumber you wanted the best, regardless of cost? He/she may have guessed that you valued low price most. If you're going to call someone else next time, who will then buy the faucet at HD or Lowes, you're going to get another cheap faucet. (Not necessarily a bad one, but a cheap one.) HD and Lowes don't specialize in high quality of anything, in my experience. That's not to say that all of their stuff is junk, but they're retailers first, and most of their customers have limited expertise while they're looking for a cheap price.
If anyone really has the experience to know the quality difference between models it will be a plumber. I think you'd be better off finding a plumber who you trust. While you're at it, ask him or her why the old faucet wore out. The plumber will likely have a much better idea than a bunch of people in a newsgroup who are guessing based on very little information.

Hmmm... No weight on mine and I can't really rearrange the knobs down there which is what it is getting caught on. The old one never did tat.

It wasn't $250 to replace. It wa $250 plus installation. There is no way that this is a $250 faucet! He also put one in the garage. Told me he had one he would get me a deal on but charged $250 for that too and no sprayer. It's just a cheap utility sink. That particular plumbing company also charged me $250 plus installation to replace what was perhaps a $12 toilet part. I got another guy to intall a whole new toilet for slightly less than that! Which is why I don't want to use them unless it is in emergency. I have tried three different plumbing companies. All seem to do shoddy work in that I have to keep calling them back again and again for the same thing. At least with Mr. Handyman, if the job wasn't done right, he comes back and puts it right and doesn't charge me again.