Kitchen design: Can Dishwasher go next to stove?

I'm doing a layout of a new kitchen in a condo. One idea I had was to put the dishwasher next to the stove, but then I was wondering, when we put the granite countertop, where would the countertop rest on where the DW and stove meet? Seems I would have to put in some kind of support or filler in between to support it. Has anyone ever done it like this, or should a base cabinet be put between the stove and dishwasher?

Reply to
Mikepier

You would need support. You could do it with a piece of wood and a small piece of vertical front. I just buy the same kind of wood as the cabinets and stain and seal that sort of stuff myself but you can usually get pieces to do that with from the kitchen department you get the cabinets from. Just 2 or 3 times the price :-)

I don't know of a reason that you can't but I've not seen that layout. The most important 3 things to work with when laying out a kitchen is the stove, the sink, and the fridge. You want to make a triangle out of those if possible such that you can easily move between the three. When you are cooking that's the common travel paths. Dishwasher is usually loaded from the sink so you want the dishwasher close to the sink.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

The dishwasher is next to the sink. This is a galley type kitchen, so I'm trying to come up with the best use of space and countertop work area. The gas/water/drain lines are all on one wall, so I'm pretty much limited as to where to put the stove/DW/sink.

Reply to
Mikepier

I have a galley kitchen at our lake house and it has sink and dishwasher on one side. Fridge and stove on the other. I like that division as it creates reasonable space for counter top on both sides. It's nice to have counter top on both sides of the sink and the stove. And on the door opening side of the fridge.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

So that would mean that your kitchen would have the sink/DW/range on one side of it and the fridge on the opposite side... The work triangle would still be triangular in that configuration... You will enjoy having all the counter space above the DW between the sink and the range... Just make sure that if you use a dish rack that you have room for it on the opposite side of the sink to keep the counter clear for prep and cooking on the range...

It sounds like a thick sheet of plywood 3/4" would support the granite counter-top over the dishwasher with some sort of frame at the top to support it which would stiffen the plywood and brace it along the wall... As others have said you would trim the visible edge of the support with a piece that matches the face frames of the cabinetry...

I would finish the exposed side of the plywood on the range side with a tough high gloss paint in a color compatible with the kitchen OR install laminate on the sheet of plywood that matches the color of the range -- this will make cleaning the grease and gunk that gets down there from cooking on the range MUCH easier and won't provide greasy wood which pests like to eat as food if you ever have pest control issues in the future... Leaving raw, unfinished wood in a kitchen is just not something that should be done, especially when it is located directly next to the major source of grease in the kitchen...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

I agree with James. You need a support but it does not need to be a killer one. A 3/4" end panel with a 3" filler strip on the front and back to form a vertical truss will do the job. The countertop should be supported all along the wall with a ledger board.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

This isn't germane to your question, but have you checked out the pros &cons of granite? I've seen negatives about staining, etc. Not minding your biz, but sometimes an app gets popular, like granite, and people take it for granite (bada bum bum bum).

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

No countertop, granite or otherwise, rests atop the dishwasher.

The countertop must be self supporting - the dishwasher fits in a cavity (else how would you ever replace the dishwasher). Therefore you have to construct some sort of supporting mechanism for the countertop irrespective of what goes below the counter.

Reply to
HeyBub

You need a 3/4 inch piece of plywood for an end panel, with some sort of finishing strip vertically along the front edgo for appearances. I can't think why you would need a 3" wide front pice except for appearance, the 3/4" plywood should be able to support the granite with no problems

Reply to
hrhofmann

We have the dishwasher next to the range. The counter top is Corian so not as heavy as granite, but it has set securely over the 3/4" plywood support for over 20 years. The plywood is not even faced. The front edge is set back about an inch behind the front face of the countertop and behind the front of the stove and the dishwasher and is, for all practical purposes unnoticeable.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Is this a narrow galley with everything on one wall? Or are both walls going to have countertop? If so, try to avoid putting them together. I think in time you'd find it annoying.

The DW should be next to the sink. Ideal is to have the DW next to the sink and close to the cabinets where the dishes are stored. That gives the least amount of steps to load an unload. You want the fridge to be across from the sink and prep counter also. If you look at kitchen designs, the goal is to have a triangle of those three items to minimize steps. If possible, the sink should be under a window for best lighting, the stove on an outside wall for easiest venting.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

@Ed:

The OP stated this was a condo renovation which is a universe all its own... He is probably limited by where the existing hook-ups are, and if they are all located on one wall, where the water/drain and gas (for stove) are all located then it is very much easier to use what is there exactly where it is currently located depending on how the unit boundaries and "common elements" are defined in the Condo Declaration legal documents...

For instance I know of several condos where the vertical unit boundaries are defined as the "plane of the lower edge of the ceiling joists" and "the upper surface of the sub-flooring" and any work which needed to take place outside of said limits needed to be specified on plans drawn up by a registered architect/engineer and submitted to the condo board for approval well in advance of any work taking place where any aspects of the proposed work were located outside the unit boundaries in the common area (which is essentially a "no man's land" between units") OR needed to pass through another unit to be connected to where they need to go and any such work located outside the boundaries of the condo unit is allowed solely at the discretion of the authority of the condo board... Relocation of and/or connection to a "common element" like drainage and vent lines (and in some cases water supplied from a common water meter) are all subject to the approval of the condo board who has the final say on any issues pertaining to any "common elements" on the condo development...

So moving the stove might not be something which is easily accomplished if it actually has a legit vent (not simply a hood which "vents" into the kitchen) which is either connected to a vent line or directly vented through an outside wall penetration (relocating those aspects which effect common elements is a true pain in the ass in all ways, shapes and forms)... A lot of times kitchens and bathrooms in condos are located along common walls shared with other units and the drain/vent lines are shared between all units adjoining that wall (especially in "townhouse style" units)...

The only object in the "kitchen triangle" which can be easily relocated in the OP's situation is the fridge... It just might not be possible to move the sink/DW or the stove depending on the existing site conditions and the terms, boundaries and "common elements" as defined in the legal documents which describe the condo development and have the force of law upon all parties in relation to use and modification of the condo real property...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan